Author Topic: register Domain names  (Read 4626 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
register Domain names
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
A quick question.. where would you guys and gals recommend to register a domain name? My guy i would ask is unreachable for 3 weeks. Its for something else not my printing business.

good companies, or beware stay away from them?

thanks

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Re: register Domain names
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
I used to just use whatever is cheapest, which is fine for the most part.  Any "big name" is fine.

Lately though I just do it through my host even though it costs more simply because its easier to manage. 

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »
Beware GoDaddy or Network Solutions.
Namecheap is good.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
We've been using bluehost for many years, never had any problems

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
I use mad dog domain and verio but where you register is not as important (really) as choosing your hosting provider..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
I use mad dog domain and verio but where you register is not as important (really) as choosing your hosting provider..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

But of course, many names are registered, but never hosted, or at least not until they are bought by someone else.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Yeah! I am having issues with GoDaddy right now. I have, I thought all of my domain names setup for auto renewal. I recently noticed my website was not active, and contacted the local guy hosting my site. Well! apparently my domain name expired and some a-hole now owns my domain, well guess what GoDaddy has a service that will negotiate with the other party to help me buy back my domain. WHAT A RIP OFF. Maybe I didn't have it on auto renewal but I don't recall any notice from GD. Live and learn.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 11:08:20 PM »
Yeah! I am having issues with GoDaddy right now. I have, I thought all of my domain names setup for auto renewal. I recently noticed my website was not active, and contacted the local guy hosting my site. Well! apparently my domain name expired and some a-hole now owns my domain, well guess what GoDaddy has a service that will negotiate with the other party to help me buy back my domain. WHAT A RIP OFF. Maybe I didn't have it on auto renewal but I don't recall any notice from GD. Live and learn.

Mine are on auto-renew... They NEVER forget to get their easy money from me.

There is no money in letting your domain lapse for them.

I get notices as well.  Was your info all up to date?  Would any other registrar do much more?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
I have been with godaddy for years... currently have 10 active domains registered with them.

They issue here is not having up to date contact info on your account. YOUR contact information. People often let their "web guy" take care of it and that's how domains are lost.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
We use GoDaddy, auto renew. They send like 104850385040 Notices even when they are auto-renewing.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »
years back I had issues with GoDaddy and left for 1and1. New company was much better for a while, than had issues and seems to have addressed them last couple of years. 'not sure about their pricing, but like some of the auto PHP and Wordpress features.
There are a lot of small hosting companies that you never know how long they'll last so, I wanted to go with somebody big.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
We use GoDaddy, auto renew. They send like 104850385040 Notices even when they are auto-renewing.

does GoDaddy allow IMAP and have they removed the small size email box restrictions? When I was with them the biggest email box you could get was 500MB and IMAP was not an option.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »

does GoDaddy allow IMAP and have they removed the small size email box restrictions? When I was with them the biggest email box you could get was 500MB and IMAP was not an option.

pierre

We use Office 365 with them, so i think we have a 50gb limit per email and its exchange hosted.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »
Never let a domain expire.....Nearly impossible to get them back if you miss the last date to renew them.....The domain sellers market expired domains to highest bidder as soon as they can....