Author Topic: Use of multi-channel black and cleaning fluid, and how the cleaning cycle works.  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Hey gang! We just got a refurb 3880, the refillable carts (NINE of them), and all the necessary goodies, of course.

We have been using a 1440/AccuRip setup, and running black in all the refillable carts with no problem. I always liked this setup, as we had to refill less often.

Ive read that many of you run a combination of black in one or more carts, but also a cleaning fluid in some of the carts. I get that its probably cheaper to pull the fluid (versus the ink) during a head cleaning cycle.

What I dont understand, is how the cleaning fluid is helpful in cleaning the black heads during a cleaning cycle. Does a cleaning cycle do something that makes the fluid get "shared' across the heads somehow? I guess it boils down to the fact that I dont know how inkjets work, especially concerning cleanings.

If that is the case, would it be helpful to setup the printer with cleaning carts in strategic slots, to make the cleanings work better? In other words, if I wanted to run 4 black slots and 5 cleaner slots, would it be beneficial to "staggger" them in the slots? Accurip allows custom setups like this.

This being a clean, uncharged printer, I would like to set it up optimally from the start, so any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Oh, one more thing: I forgot to order cleaning fluid. I can do so, but seems like there is some sort of home-brew solution that you guys have mentioned...like a mix of windex or something? If its sketchy, I'd rather order the real deal stuff, but if its the same as what we can make that would be cool.

...thanks everyone!!!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
I would like this info also .We have a 4880 that we used for sublimation before but we have cleaned it all out and would like to use it also.
Randy Wilbanks 361-533-0593 Prints Charming Royal Tees corpus Christi Texas

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
I run one cart of accuink and all the rest cleaning fluid in both my 4800 and my 9800. I initially ran a bunch of power cleanings etc on both using cleaning fluid in all the carts, then put in the single black cart, flushed the ink by printing a huge black square and have been good to go. I use the 9800 maybe twice a week and the 4800 every day, but not over the weekend usually and haven't had to do a single head cleaning since setting them up months and months ago. I don't know if the cleaning fluid helps other heads based on the location or whatever. The main benefit is the cleaning fluid can't clog those heads and the printers do run their own self cleanings so you aren't wasting ink on those or risking anything by running the cleaning fluid.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
We run some DIY cleaning fluid here. I used the stuff to clear an old epson 7600 printer. We run black dye ink from film direct in the black / light black carts. Cleaning solution in the rest. 2 parts 91% iso alcohol, 1 part ammonia, 9 parts distilled water. It works great for us. We us a graduated cylinder to measure and mix up 1 gal at a time so it lasts a while. Im not sure about staggering the cleaning sol / ink, Im not sure it would be beneficial. I don't think the nozzles share the cleaning fluid at all, but there is a rubber wiper blade (in mine at least) that may wipe it across other nozzles. If you really want to get into it, you might be able to track down one of the repair / service manuals the techs use. They describe the cleaning cycle in depth, but most info there is way over my head.

Online Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I run a 4880 with Accuprip, most of my cartridges have black UV dye, one or two have cleaning fluid.     I put about 30% window cleaner with distilled water.      I don't print with the all black, I think you get a better result printing with one head but I like to have a few heads with black UV dye, if one gets a bit clogged up you can switch to another.
If you have only one black with cleaning fluid in the rest you'll have a problem if it clogs up.
If you buy the UV dye in quarts it's not that expensive.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
The 4880 has a special menu that will purge out your lines.

It dumps a LOT of fluid (obviously)... I did this a couple times in a row when I got my printer and it over flowed the waste tank.  Kind of a mess.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
If one clogs you just pull the black and put in the refillable with cleaning fluid and clear the clog, or put the black in a different slot and switch the chips (note the percentage used prior to switching) and flush the cleaning fluid by printing a black block. Having black in other heads but not using them or having to switch manually on some interval seems like a good way to cause problems. I run my accuink in light light black slot on my 9800 because the black head wasn't printing great and I didn't feel like messing with it.

The recipe for cleaning fluid that I've seen posted and I use is 9 parts windex, 2 parts isolated alcohol, cut with up to 50% distilled water (I don't cut it when doing the initial power cleanings on a used printer, but do for just sitting in the cart.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
There are a few good youtube videos on how to do all the cleanings, and some pdf's that discuss the procedure and the tech manual etc that I will try to link tomorrow when I'm back in the shop. Helped a ton in getting both my epsons up and running like a champ. My 4800 wasn't in great shape when I bought it used, but it was $100 and works perfectly now and honestly with those resources and a lot of guidance from Pierre it wasn't that hard to get it good as new. The 9800 was trickier, but only because nobody has one that I could talk to about it. In the end it was actually pretty easy too once I wrapped my head around the differences between it and the 4800.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
the cleaning fluid goes in to keep the heads from burning up. There has to be something in there even if you are not using those colors/heads. (as I understand it)

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
3800 here, one black, the rest are cleaning fluid. Running AccuRIP.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't