Author Topic: former customer looking for art files  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
former customer looking for art files
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:19 AM »
I have a former customer, a middle school, and a member of the town's pto is looking for a file "suitable" for printing. I was originally given a crappy jpeg, and redrew the logo in Illy. Never charged for the art, did a couple of jobs, it took over 4 months to get paid. I'm a little reticent to give it up, and really feel like telling them to redraw it themselves, but thought better of acting on a knee jerk. What think youse guys?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: former customer looking for art files
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »
Just send them back a Jpeg file.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
That they have already. I redrew, so can they, but I'm trying to be reasonable; a tough balance between being reasonable and being a tool...

Steve

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:37 AM »
Personally, I would send a JPG. Any printer with a decent amount of knowledge will either know how to make a jpg "suitable" for printing or do the right thing and redraw it. It's not your fault the other printer can't use a JPG to print his films. Or you can pull a jerk move and say sure no problem, vector files are 75.00ea.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:18:59 AM »
If they paid you for artwork give it to them. If they didn't explain that to them and offer a price to give it to them.

This is why I am a fan of art and print being 2 different things because they are.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »
If they had paid me, I would simply send it, but they didn't. The fact that I had trouble collecting, which is somehow my fault as they didn't reorder after that, makes me feel I really don't owe them anything. I think I'll write back with, "What do you need it for? Maybe I can help..."

Steve

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »
Suitable for printing what?  Are they going elsewhere for services you previously provided?  If that is the case, then you should inquire as to what they were unsatisfied with using your services and see if there is anything you can do to retain their business.

Unless, of course, you don't like them as a customer.  Then you take Sonny's advice: [and send them the file]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-4RobJQ0Y
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
There is a difference for paying for artwork services/labor and paying for ownership of the art you charge more for the other.  Some may not agree with that but that is how it's written out  for lawyers to fight over . you can do what you want to.

The bottom line is this customer wants the good art  they didn't pay for,  ...but you did, to take to another printer to either save money on art charges there or to improve that Printers results.
That  alone, should say something to you.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Croft

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
send them an eps of a jpeg , I always like receiving those, but seriously just a jpeg say thats what you work from , Oh yea make a 72dpi screen view only

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
If they had paid me, I would simply send it, but they didn't. The fact that I had trouble collecting, which is somehow my fault as they didn't reorder after that, makes me feel I really don't owe them anything. I think I'll write back with, "What do you need it for? Maybe I can help..."

Steve

Why they need the artwork will be a lie anyway, "I need it for a cell phone case". Or something Haha. 

I think id just be honest. This artwork wasn't billed and it took a lot of time to collect our payment from you, if you'd like the artwork we'd charge $XXX.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
This is verbiage that needs to be included into your terms of services to cover these events.

There was a topic a while ago that dealt with charging art fees  and what those fees constitute. Depending on how it's worded it's either a service fee or a charge.

Nobody has ever paid me for artwork, what they pay me is a fee to turn their artwork into print ready material.  They are welcome to purchase my separations if they desire but if they ask for their art back, they get back What they sent me.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
If it's been a few years since they have ordered from you I'd tell them I no longer have there file or lost it in a computer upgrade, I've had people come into us from another printer with there shirt in hand and ask could we do this.  My first question to them is can you get your art from the other printer which will save you art charges, right there I'm letting them know they will have to pay a art fee fro us to reproduce there art.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
When I did it originally, we were anticipating an ongoing relationship. With most schools, it works out fine. In this case, I had to call and write repeatedly to get paid in 120 days. I think now, after input from you folks, and a few others, that I will offer to sell it to them, based on the time I spent recreating it, around a hour and a half, $90.00. Thanks everybody for your input.

Steve

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »
I also tend to live by a saying:

If you lend somebody $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »
When I did it originally, we were anticipating an ongoing relationship. With most schools, it works out fine. In this case, I had to call and write repeatedly to get paid in 120 days. I think now, after input from you folks, and a few others, that I will offer to sell it to them, based on the time I spent recreating it, around a hour and a half, $90.00.Thanks  everybody for your input.

Steve

I think that you could simply almost use most of this last post as your response to them.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?