Author Topic: Show shirt art.  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Show shirt art.
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
I was approached about doing a few show shirts. This one was tight to fit it in with the seps business. You would think this kind of work is fun and great, but it's time consuming and when you need to charge accordingly to make a living, it gets pricey and many say "we can't afford that".  Some shops tho, can't afford not to. I could have put in another 5 hrs to the point of getting it the way I would have preferred, but you know how it goes. Need to get it done.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Show shirt art.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:15 PM »
Awesome job Dan.  I'd wear that all day long.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
That's talent at its best.  Great work.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
Nice art Dan. What's somthing like this running $ ? If you can share.

Murphy

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
Skills...
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »
one of ours. Can't touch Dan, but I think it's cool. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
Nice art Dan. What's somthing like this running $ ? If you can share.

Murphy

My price is with seps included.  I'm not sure if the customer wants me to advertise what he paid on this, but I can generalize.

When getting this level of art done, consider this, many who illustrate or render at this level or higher, charge that or more for the art alone.
When/if you can get the seps included for this price range, you are doing really well on that.

Sometimes, you need to get the seps done somewhere else or try to do them in house and rely on your own skills. When paying this much for the art, you want the best seps you can get. If you are confident and experienced at seps in house, then that's all the more savings. If only a novice at seps, then, you may as well let someone who specializes in that handle it. I mean, why go half out on seps right?

The range from many artist, for high level art/illustration is from $400-$800 with no seps included.
I was near the bottom end on this one.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
Nice one Dan!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
I think that it's also nice that this will be demo'ed on a manual press showing just how valuable well engineered art and seps can be even at the small shop level. (besides the obvious creative skills)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
This is great Dan!
You should put up a post when you are available to do work like this.  I know a couple of clients who could use some of this work, and are willing to pay for art.
Do you have a online portfolio?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
The feeling of  "our customers won't pay that kind of money".
 I ran up against the same thing when I had my shop, Small town, many printers in the area doing low pricing and basic spot color art. Once the word got around tho, (and it will), people started coming to me looking for this kind of work and willing to pay for it. For many of these, I could have given them a good price or not charged for the art (since It was me doing art and seps). I still typically always charged a decent rate for it.
Race car tees are a good type. They order a decent quantity, and are willing to pay for the better, more cool-er art. Better art, Better printing, = more sales. Some shops can't afford not to and this is what some shops do ever day.

I did forget to mention the details and like Frog said, it's important to showcase that this is being done on a 6 color manual press.
 It will be printed using 260 mesh at 55lpi, ellipse dot shape and 22.5 screen angle. It is separated into 6 colors for white tees, being printed by KolorMatrix, on a Vastex 6 color manual press.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
This is great Dan!
You should put up a post when you are available to do work like this.  I know a couple of clients who could use some of this work, and are willing to pay for art.
Do you have a online portfolio?

Well, I'm always willing to do them. When, all depends on how fast you and your customer need it. This kind of art takes not just a straight 10-20 hrs, but may span 1-3 wks when I have to also keep the current and steady flow of separations. So for me, I need more lead time than the typical tee shirt art.  If we can plan for that, I'm always taking these jobs.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
one of ours. Can't touch Dan, but I think it's cool. . .

pierre

Pierre,

That does have a nice feel to it. It's warm and seems to promote a feeling of loyalty. I like it.