Author Topic: new to embroidery and have questions  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
new to embroidery and have questions
« on: November 16, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
We recently added a 6 head Barudan. Our training is next week. I want to have our logo digitized so we can have some various items ready to go to be trained with.

Recommendation for a digitizer? Cheap, quick turn around for every day stuff, but will still do a good job. My understanding is the end result will rely heavily on the digitizing.

Recommendations for basic economical products to embroider; beanies, baseball caps, polos, etc.

I have pricing questions too, but will post that in the appropriate place.

Thanks!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: new to embroidery and have questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
You will want to eventually do digitizing in house IMO. Every machine sews a little different and digitizers will miss this mark at times. You will want to be able to edit and eventually do it in house.  To start work with someone like: http://www.vitordigitizing.net/ is who we used for a bit back in the day with good results.

Learn caps, IMO if you can sew caps you can sew just about anything. Beanies are good to learn on as well as they are cheaper. 

Good luck and you will hate it in the beginning haha.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
You will want to eventually do digitizing in house IMO. Every machine sews a little different and digitizers will miss this mark at times. You will want to be able to edit and eventually do it in house.  To start work with someone like: http://www.vitordigitizing.net/ is who we used for a bit back in the day with good results.

Learn caps, IMO if you can sew caps you can sew just about anything. Beanies are good to learn on as well as they are cheaper. 

We got the Wilcom E3 software. What are you using for digitizing software? How hard is it to learn? Ideally we would like to do it in-house, but I'm thinking for starters we will send it out and just focus on trying to figure out how to actually do the embroidery part of it.

For caps, which are more ideal, 5 or 6 panel?

And I'm sure I will! ha!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »

We got the Wilcom E3 software. What are you using for digitizing software? How hard is it to learn? Ideally we would like to do it in-house, but I'm thinking for starters we will send it out and just focus on trying to figure out how to actually do the embroidery part of it.

For caps, which are more ideal, 5 or 6 panel?

And I'm sure I will! ha!

We use Wilcom as well, top level.

We use Flex Fit hats for most all or our orders. Every market is different though. Id learn on a 6 panel hat so you can learn it the hardest way it is.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »
We use PRO Digitizing.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
Congrats Shanarchy, we took possession of our first machine on Nov. 2nd, a 4 head spanking new 4 head Barudan with Wilcom, so far so good, we're lucky enough to have an excellent tech nearby and the training was top notch, still lots to learn so I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
I'm no expect here but I can help you learn from my mistakes and frustrations.

1) buy a bobbin tension meter and upper thread meter. Towa on ebay was 50.00 I think

2) buy good thread and stick with that brand/series. don't mix between brands, your tensions will be all over the place.

3) start with quality digitizing. this can make or break the final product, just like good seps.

4) print out a guide on needle selection and keep various needle sizes on hand.

5) wipe the machine each morning before you load a garment or you'll look like a gildan with all the oil stains.

6) hoops. I finally purchased a few sets of Mighty Hoops. Do yourself a HUGE favor, spend a few more $ and get a set. they are life changers... Probably the next best investment to the bobbin gauge. I have jacket back hoops arriving today actually. no more hoop burn, jackets are easy. I will never order any other hoops again.

7) hoopmaster after you buy the mighty hoops.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
Thanks Brandt, Rob and inkstain!

That's a great list Homer! A lot of things on here I never would have thought about.

I'm going talk to my tech about the bobbin tension and upper thread meter

We are planning on using all Robinson Anton thread (poly) through KYS, an in state distributor. They seem like they want to be very helpful in our learning curve. I'm assuming this and Maderia are good brands? Good call on mix/matching brands. I definitely wouldn't have thought about that.

We have a Hoopmaster arriving here tomorrow. I will look into the might hoops next. A quick glance it looks like they would be around $8-1300 for a set for a six head machine depending on the hoop size?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
  I use Madeira exclusively. I'm probably sure it was an isolated incident but once
I was using some red RA on white shirts and had to shoot out some machine oil...
Ran all over the place. I have NEVER had any problem with washfastness or fading
of any kind with Madeira so I stick with them.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Madeira thread here. Mighty Hooooooooooops!!!!!!!!
I refuse to use regular hoops any more and my hands love it :)

Offline Audifox

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
One backing will not work on all garments.
And you will need Solvy (or something similar) for doing pique , knit hats and towels etc.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
One backing will not work on all garments.
And you will need Solvy (or something similar) for doing pique , knit hats and towels etc.

We ordered in a handful of different backings, solvy, etc. I questioned why the recommended start up supply list had a handful of different backings and they explained what each was for. My head spun a little and I just said OK, send them all.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
Use magnetic bobbins. We switched to Fil-Tec Part # 12434 and can use the entire bobbin with out tension loss.

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »
All the tips listed are right on. Especially the magnetic hoops. Find a digitizer that will digitize using 60wt or even 75 wt for small fonts. It will save a bunch of headaches trying to cram long dept. titles or tag lines onto a left chest logo. At first be careful scheduling delivery dates. Screen printing 500 shirts with an auto is fast...embroidery not so fast.