Author Topic: multihead vs dual function  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
multihead vs dual function
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
Looking to finally add embroidery here by the end of the year. Barudan or Tajima would be our first choice, but being that we will be buying on the used market that would probably realistically leave us with SWF. Tajimas and Barudans don't seem to usually pop up on the used market unless they are really old or single heads.

My question is, if we go the (used) SWF route, would a standard 4 head or a 4 head dual purpose be the better option. And why?

If there is a brand other than Barudan, Tajima, or SWF that you think I should also consider, please post it. But I'm under the impression that these three are the only ones I should consider.

Offline 1964GN

Re: multihead vs dual function
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »
I have no experience with dual function, and only a year running a 4 head machine, but i just don't see the point from a production point of view. Even for a small shop starting out. I really can't think of a time in the last year where it would have helped us make more money. Maybe some will chime in and enlighten me on the subject.

Other brands I have heard good things about are Happy and ZSK

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: multihead vs dual function
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
I never heard a good thing about the dual function machines. I think the idea is decent but execution may not have been the best.

We built our embroidery business on SWF. I think they are good, but not great machines. You will work harder in digitizing to make them sew as well as other machines but they CAN put out quality product. They will stop more and come un-threaded way more as well. This will cost you more than the cost of another machine in the first year in time probably alone. But Like you when I started it was more about money. We have 2 SWF's still and still use them but mostly just for hat backs.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube