Author Topic: Epson P800  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Epson P800
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Anyone using one? I see it uses roll film, and looks like it would handle assorted sizes of sheet film as well. The one review on the Ryonet website says he had to "trick" the printer into recognizing the roll film? Anyone know if that issue has been addressed? I think is was a firmware issue. Thanks in advance

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Just remember 9 - 64 ml carts. Small.....  As big as 80ml... still small.

Shane

Offline inkstain

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
Anyone using one? I see it uses roll film, and looks like it would handle assorted sizes of sheet film as well. The one review on the Ryonet website says he had to "trick" the printer into recognizing the roll film? Anyone know if that issue has been addressed? I think is was a firmware issue. Thanks in advance

Steve

I have one.  I use 17" rolls (not epson rolls) with it, no issues.  Printer works good but I also have an epson 1430 and it faster by almost 2x  :-\
Hoping someone comes out with a black system for it.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »

Steve

I have one.  I use 17" rolls (not epson rolls) with it, no issues.  Printer works good but I also have an epson 1430 and it faster by almost 2x  :-\
Hoping someone comes out with a black system for it.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

We use AccuRiP already, and only use the one cartridge method, the films are fine on our 3800, but it's getting old, and we aren't ready to go CTS yet. I also have to consider the ink costs, which will of course be higher as we wouldn't want to screw the warranty. Do you know if it will accommodate 13" rolls? We have a couple here I'd hate to see go to waste. Thanks for the responses...

Steve

Offline inkstain

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »

Steve

We use AccuRiP already, and only use the one cartridge method, the films are fine on our 3800, but it's getting old, and we aren't ready to go CTS yet. I also have to consider the ink costs, which will of course be higher as we wouldn't want to screw the warranty. Do you know if it will accommodate 13" rolls? We have a couple here I'd hate to see go to waste. Thanks for the responses...

Steve

Sorry not sure if it works with 13" rolls.  Just remembered something that was crucial and a nightmare to deal with.  I use accurip as well with my 1430 and my dead 4900 and if I remember right, you have to upgrade to the black pearl accurip and you can't use it on the same computer with the other printers.  I had to bring another computer from the dead to work with the 1430 my latest computer to run the p800 accurip.  That sucked.  Basically using a computer only to run accurip and print through it.  Only bonus is to be able to print two films at once I guess.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
According to the Epson site:

Roll Media Handling
Requires Optional Roll Media Adapter
Media Thickness    0.25-0.70mm
Maximum Roll Media Width    17 Inches
Minimum Roll Media Width    13 Inches

Top Margin    1.97 Inches (50mm)
Bottom Margin    0.55 Inches (14mm)
Left and Right Margin    0.12 Inches (3mm)
BorderFree Widths    13", 16", 16.5", 17"
Expansion Method    Retain Size, Auto (fixed at max)
Roll Media Length    Manual Cut to Desired Length

Maximum printable length may be limited by software application, OS, available media and RIP
Epson SureColor P800 UltraChrome HD Inks

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
Thanks Shane...

Steve

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »

Steve

I was just reading the specs on it and it says, "Production-capacity engine – create up to four 16″ x 20″ film positives per hour". WTF, we print 13 x 19 a hell of a lot faster than that on the 3800... is it really this slow?

Steve

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »

Steve

I was just reading the specs on it and it says, "Production-capacity engine – create up to four 16″ x 20″ film positives per hour". WTF, we print 13 x 19 a hell of a lot faster than that on the 3800... is it really this slow?

Steve

I saw that as well and wondered if it was a typo.

The T3270 says it can do up to 40 16"x20" films/hour.

The T3270 will also work with your standard Accurip black pearl (if you already have one), where as the P800 needs to be packaged with the specific Epson version of Accurip. So you can get a regular 24" T3270 for $2300. Where as the 17" P800 screen print edition (w/rip) is $1800. So if it really is 40 vs 4/hr, that the T3270 would be a no brainer over the P800. The T3270 also has larger capacity cartridges. The only thing I'm unsure of is if the ink is different in the "screen print edition" model. But I'm not seeing a difference.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »
What to do, what to do... our artist says she doesn't think the speed will be much of an issue as we put out lots of small prints, and have tons or reorder work where we already have the film. We would probably never use the color functions... to go along with my constant changing of the mind, I've also started looking for 4880's and possibly another 3800, but they seem to be selling for higher prices than they should, and are also a bit rare right now...

Steve

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »
What to do, what to do... our artist says she doesn't think the speed will be much of an issue as we put out lots of small prints, and have tons or reorder work where we already have the film. We would probably never use the color functions... to go along with my constant changing of the mind, I've also started looking for 4880's and possibly another 3800, but they seem to be selling for higher prices than they should, and are also a bit rare right now...

Steve

I'm half tempted to get a T3270. If I did I'd have a 4800 in really good condition/low print count with an all black set up.

Offline inkstain

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

Steve

Steve

yep, like I mentioned before...it's slow.  slower then my 1430.  go figure :-[

Offline ol man

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:36:42 AM »

Steve

I'm half tempted to get a T3270. If I did I'd have a 4800 in really good condition/low print count with an all black set up.

hands down the best film printer ive owned - easly twice as fast as the 4800

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
ol man, did you get the screen print edition, or the regular T3270?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
ol man, did you get the screen print edition, or the regular T3270?

Are there any other differences with the "Screen Print Edition" other than bundling Accurip?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?