Author Topic: Big order... What would be the best way to handle this...?  (Read 5383 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Big order... What would be the best way to handle this...?
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
So this will be a big order for us, maybe not for others, but for us this is big.

One of my clients came to me today, they will need 5,000 polos with a full color 4 color process image on the left chest, on a dark colored polo (probably navy).  Here is the kicker... They do not want screen print, and the logo will not lend itself to embroidery.

Here is my question for everyone.  What would be my best option for this? Full color vinyl (roland BN-20), or DTG (Epson F-2000), or is there something else that I dont even know.  This job will make me buy either piece of equipment, because this will be a recurring job, and I could use either for my business as it is. 

What I dont want to do is Heatpress 5,000 times...

What do you think about this?  This is a straight forward customer that I have worked with for many years, and she doesnt B.S. me when it comes to jobs.

I just want to get my ducks in a row so I know what will be the best option.

Thanks for any help.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Re: Big order... What would be the best way to handle this...?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
Woven Label appliqued on  - HPI or Arrow emblem can do it.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:10:15 PM »
If you use vinyl which I wouldn't on polo's would take a lot of heat pressing hell to the naw on that, DTG even that's going to be a long process on one machine.  I would get all my ducks in a row as you say and sometimes you got to know whats best, your the printer, they just know what they want which might be impossible for any one to do.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
if they discharge, you could get them a really nice image on there! We printed some navy polos and they discharged beautifully!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
Their choices are screenprinting, embroidery or heat transfer. For one, heat applying 5000 pieces may be faster than embroidery, like a Stahl's Cad-Printz, or their new one which looks and feels like a screenprint, but still heat application. But, they don't want screenprinting, so like others, I would recommend the patches...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
heat applied (vinyl or patch) would be the fastest I think.  Handle the shirt one time from box to press to box and it would take about 15 seconds a shirt.  Easy money...

6x8 label presses from geoknight are like $600 I think.  You could buy two of these and knock out the whole job in two days with two people assuming each is doing between 2 and 3 shirts a minute, which is a pretty easy pace to keep.  When I heat press polo left chests using vinyl I usually average closer to 4 a minute.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
It looks like the cat printz is the way we are looking at going.  It also looks like instead of spending $5,000 and having Stahls do the print, Im going to be buying a Roland BN-20 for $8500. 
Does anyone on the boards here have one, or something similar that they could share their experience with me? Likes or dislikes?

Thanks!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »
Why not go bigger for the same money
https://www.signwarehouse.com/p/prismjet-vj48-plus-large-format-color-printer-valuprint-package
Do you have experience with these by chance?  I know the quality of the roland first hand, and I am very happy with it.  I would be more than willing to try something else, if I herd someone who has used this before.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
I do not but have been researching lately. I do know the one I linked to is a re-branded Mutoh. I believe your ink and materials cost would be much higher with the BN20.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:45:52 PM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »
I don't see anyone asking the big question, why not screenprint?
I do a lot of print and cuts, but in general, only when the quantity doesn't justify screenprinting.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
I have definitely had feedback that the BN20 is not worthwhile as an investment unless you are really cramped for space. As mentioned above, you'll find a wide format machine used that'll serve you better. This is what I was advised although I never bought one in the end.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »
It looks like the cat printz is the way we are looking at going.  It also looks like instead of spending $5,000 and having Stahls do the print, Im going to be buying a Roland BN-20 for $8500. 
Does anyone on the boards here have one, or something similar that they could share their experience with me? Likes or dislikes?

Thanks!

don't buy the 20, you'll outgrow that real fast. honestly, order the transfers from stahls and be done.  Buy a printer as well but do some research first. It's not a plug-n-play set up as they make it seem... the learning curve can be tricky to print and cut on different medias...color profiles and settings can take a while to nail down...just my advice.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »
Here is what I had 3 people tell me for what it is worth...

I was going to pick up a 20 at SGIA. Apparently the media for a 20" machine is more expensive because the suppliers have to cut down a full size roll of media which there is more demand for. Unless you are extremely cramped for space the 20" unit doesn't sound like a great move

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 01:14:45 AM »
Ok. Sounds like I am going to pass on the BN-20 per your guys recommendation. The reasoning makes sense.
Now I guess I need to do a bit of research on what a quality machine will be for the 10k range...