Author Topic: Anyone from Washington state, Oregon or Idaho?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Anyone from Washington state, Oregon or Idaho?
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
Just curious, been googling different states to possibly move to and wanted first hand knowledge of these areas, the good and the bad. Most likely won't move but we can dream.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Anyone from Washington state, Oregon or Idaho?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
Grew up in Oregon and Washington for a lot of my younger years.  Mom still lives near Portland.  Beautiful place to live, but I hated the weather.  Everything always feels wet, muddy, and gray.  If you can deal with that, go for it, but I couldn't.  The alternative would be the eastern parts of the state, but the only place I would consider would probably be Bend or maybe Pullman.  Everywhere else is pretty much deserted, and even those cities are pretty isolated.  I also know you lean pretty far right and both states are full of liberals so you might not love that :D

edit: forgot you listed Idaho too, but most people forget about Idaho so... I don't think I've ever even met someone who has visited let alone lived there :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:16:46 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »
I'm from Iowa!!!! Oh, you said Idaho. Always mix those up, sorry
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:37:55 PM »
Lol I know I would love the weather in the Northwest but my wife certainly would not.
I think Oregon and Washington are becoming like California politically so they are actually 2nd and 3rd on the list with Idaho being number one. Just not sure I could live with snow. My wife hates the cold and the rain. It is hard to punch all the desires for both of us, I actually think it doesn't exist outside of California.
Low Humidity
Never below freezing
Never above 90 degrees
No snow

That pretty much boils down to the west coast of California.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
Mimosa, Are there any parts in Texas that come close? I researched a little about Abilene but figured you would know more.

Edit: just noticed really high humidity
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:55:50 PM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
You would actually probably love Abilene culturally as it is very conservative/evangelical.  I would straight up call it boring, but I enjoy having what larger cities like Austin offer in the way of events, music, etc.  The weather is pretty okay compared to the gulf coast, especially when it comes to humidity, but it definitely will get above 90 and will occasionally get snow and freezes.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »
Yeah as I get older I desire a more secluded atmosphere, not desolate but 39-40 million people in California versus 1.6 million in Idaho. I was amazed at that difference.

If I could find a plot of land that I could drop a manufactured home on near a body of water with neighbors a decent distance away I would be happy. It's crazy I sound like my dad. He never got to realize that. Actually he did but it was short lived, back when I was a young boy he bought an acre of land up near Clearlake Ca and dropped a mobile on it. Didn't last cause dad was an alcoholic and my parents split shortly after that. But darn it he tried.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:24:48 AM »
no natural lakes in Texas, just FYI.  There are plenty of man made ones though, but you have to pay attention to which ones are "constant level" and which ones vary based on rainfall etc.  Property values etc will swing dramatically based on that specifically, and what might be near water one year isn't the next...

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
I'm in Moses Lake, WA.  Smack dab in the center of Central WA.
It's a desert climate,lots of basalt rock and sagebrush. It's sunshine about 300 days out of the year.  Winters have been getting milder & milder with less snow and more rain.
We have some of the best fishing, duck, goose and pheasant hunting in the Northwest.
Culturally and entertainment wise....yep, it's pretty much void.  Except for the Gorge Ampitheatre (about 20 min. away) 
It doesn't matter what type of music your into, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a concert at The Gorge!

We are about an easy hour drive to anywhere.  East to Spokane, South to Tri-Cities, West to Wenatchee, North to Grand Coulee Dam area.  So it's not uncommon in the fall & spring to go snow skiing/snowboarding in the morning in the mountains and then spend the evening water skiing on the lake with a bonfire at the sand dunes.

We have some of the fastest internet in the nation with fiber lines throughout the county.  Data Storage centers have taken over Quincy, WA (about 30 min. away) with Microsoft, Intuit, Vantage and a couple others all having built (or currently under construction) huge facilities.  Ten Pin Brewery (just won WA Small Brewery of the Year) and their "Groove" Pineapple Wheat Ale.....to die for!
We're home to the SGL/BMW plant, which makes the carbon fiber bodies of the electric BMW's (if you ever get a chance to see an i8 up close....WOW!)  and most recently Mitsubishi Jets.

Our doors are open and we love visitors.

Bruce

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
That sounds pretty cool, I will have to put that on my research list. Thank you.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
I lived in Wenatchee for a year.  Still have family there.  Good place and yea..... nothing exciting except around harvest time.  Leavenworth is fun and toooons of outdoor activities.

Electricity is cheap as well.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.