Author Topic: Epson 3270 setup/density/film  (Read 2165 times)

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
Epson 3270 setup/density/film
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
So we've been on the Epson 3270 for a few months now. Unit has worked great for us, speed is awesome. I only have one concern with the density of my film.  Here are the specs......

-Epson 3270
-Waterproof Pigment Ulano 24"x100' roll
-Accurip Blackpearl
-Single Black 700ml Epson UtlraChrome HD pigment ink (all other cartridges are standard colors)

I have the droplet setting all the way up to 14 (highest setting is 15) when I hold the films up to flo lights I can see fairly easily through the film. I was really concerned, until I read this article
 https://softwareforscreenprinters.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/224784427-ACC-0009-Achieving-Density-without-a-Densitometer  ....basically talks about film density and in one sections mentions how the ink is designed to block UV light not be 100% black, made comparison to the old Rubylith how it blocks UV light but you can see right through it.

We have not had any problems shooting films or holding detail, it was just in my head that the films were not dark enough.... share your thoughts and knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:00:11 PM by acescreen »

Offline farmboygraphics

Re: Epson 3270 setup/density/film
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
We used an Epson 1400 for awhile with rip software, got it as dark as I could but could see through the film. Worked fine. Got another 3000 going (same rip) and there was a huge difference. Very dark film and the screen washed out so much better. Epson ink in both printers.
Tees and Coffee

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
I took a class with Doug Grigar at the Vastex training facility a couple of months ago and they had just installed an Epson 3270 running AccuRip. He ran several films with black only, as well as a few other combinations of color inks to check out the opacity and the uv blocking characteristics.  The films appeared to be quite thin with a noticeable lack of opacity. We ran several tests using our exposure calculator, so we had the exposure dialed in and proceeded to expose some screens with the film. Much to our surprise, the screens were properly exposed and looked great. We even did several exposure tests that we overexposed the screens for somewhere between 3-10 times our proper working exposure and the film did an amazing job at blocking the uv light. I was quite impressed with the results from a printer that could print beautiful color images and produce high quality films, as well.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
I would try increasing the resolution if you don't think it is dense enough. If you do that you may need to dial back the droplet weight, and the films will also print slower. You know its too dense when the ink is running off the page ;)

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
I would try increasing the resolution if you don't think it is dense enough. If you do that you may need to dial back the droplet weight, and the films will also print slower. You know its too dense when the ink is running off the page ;)

or when you print a 98% and the next day it becomes 100%.

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »
Epson 1430.

Standard factory inks.

Exposure table was a vastex with fluorescent UV bulbs, at about 4 minutes, with a Saati Textile PV emulsion.

The full-color test print on waterproof inkjet film was not done with any halftones, so the resulting screen is not usable, just did this a while back as a test to show how much of the spectrum of colors from the factory inks is blocking the UV. 

Point is you can print just Yellow and still get a good UV blocking... UV block has nothing to do with "what your eyes see"... like the whole idea of "is your film dark enough"... it only has to be dark to UV light - hence the original post.... just sharing that I have tested the same and you can see through a lot of that full-color transparency, but just like rubylith - the red to yellow to green areas are using enough yellow ink to block the UV.   The Magenta and Cyan inks don't block it much (because of their color they are allowing blue and uv light through) -- and the black ink does block UV.   So usually if you print black and yellow it does a good job, or just full rich CMYK and it burns halftones a bit better than just yellow or just black etc.    But you don't need to change these printers from full-color into just-black in order to make UV blocking screenprint films for exposure... and you don't need a RIP etc... just a way to convert images into halftones, and set your printing colors of those halftones to rich-black 100% cmyk for example.   

Looking at the pictures again... the opposite is actually true... the  Blue "looks" darker than the yellow, but the blue cured and the yellow blocked the UV and washed out.   

The proper exposure really has to do more with the ratio between the actual UV blocking % for the amount of time you are exposing and for the power amount of UV in a given area being blocked, versus the clear areas allowing light....  usually you are going for a high-contrast between the UV blocking and the clear areas and with enough power based on the emulsion used for long enough to get a positive cure through both sides strong enough to hold up well to washing (even power washing if you can) and have the uv-blocked areas wash out easily (not with lots of effort as if they are semi-cured)....   so all the variables have to really work together...

I tried a just-yellow print at the shop I am working now which uses an amerigraph with a 1200 watt metal halide I think, and even for a minute or so the power of that UV compared to the vastex fluorescent bulbs was enough to still get through the yellow... but the rich-black printed using 100% CMYK values makes a dark and clean high-resolution film off the epson 1430 that does work great on that higher powered MH table... so there is something to the ratio of the amount of UV being blocked by for example the yellow or the black, and probably more when a rich-black is printed.    The actual density of the black to UV light is not as important as the actual ratio of those 3 or more factors involved - emulsion, dark/clear ratio, power/time ratio, etc.   

Fun stuff!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:13:25 PM by Full-SpectrumSeparator »
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints