Author Topic: Data storage  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Data storage
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 12:12:24 PM »
I have and use google drive in addition to the harddrives, and it is included in what I already pay for custom gmail domain and google voice for my work number.  Definitely looks like a good option for others though.

Ask Chris at ZooCity about google drive.

Also, my wife hated google drive... many of the same problems Chris experienced just on a smaller  scale for us.  It would have saved us a good deal of money over her Dropbox account with the amount of storage she uses... just didn't work nearly as smoothly as dropbox.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Backblaze question:

Can you access this from multiple computers?

I currently use a laptop. I am thinking of switching to an actual desktop computer. I sometimes do artwork at home. Would I be able to access a file saved/backed up to Backblaze from a different computer?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »
Backblaze question:

Can you access this from multiple computers?

I currently use a laptop. I am thinking of switching to an actual desktop computer. I sometimes do artwork at home. Would I be able to access a file saved/backed up to Backblaze from a different computer?

Download a backup of the file yes... Push that file back up and on to your desktop at the shop... No, that's where Dropbox kicks ass and that's why my wife uses Dropbox.

Everything is duplicated everywhere... Kind of acts as a backup as well (in case of hardware failure)... But it's more expensive when you have a lot of data.  You could run only "active" projects on Dropbox and not need nearly as much space and just use Backblaze for archiving backup type of thing (still on desktop but accessible and backed up via Backblaze.

Hope that made sense.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
Backblaze is going to be the last piece of our new system.  How do you like it so far Kevin?

We're still on Google Drive.  It duplicated thousands of files on us.  Now it just duplicates a few folders a week.  Recently, they helped us test third party software to seek out the dupes.  They told us the duplications are a feature of the program, you know, to duplicate a couple years' worth of art and order information without indicating which files are duplicates of which is a pretty great feature.....then they told me our domain users were doing it manually....eventually, after countless emails and calls I gave up on getting them to cover the costs of the damage to our file structure and we ate a lot of payroll and are still losing some every week on the issue.   

Long story short- do not use Drive for actual storage if you are a medium to larger organization.

Web and web app connectivity is very good however.  API calls can be used to tie in other apps via triggers and save some duplicate entry work as you process jobs.

Moving forward Drive will only be for jobs in our active pipeline, in order to keep good connectivity to other web apps.  Once approved, final files will be stored locally as they are generated.  We've begun storing all our RIP'd .tiff files on the server already and will migrate the rest soon.

Our server/backup structure:
1.Mac mini with mirrored platter drives
2. 2x thunderbolt rugged drives, one of which gets swapped out off site, both are carbon cloning the platters
3. web backup at night. 

Low footprint/cost and in a pinch we can swap any relatively current gen mini out and clone it back from the thunderbolt drives to function as the server if the whole server computer goes down. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »
Backblaze is going to be the last piece of our new system.  How do you like it so far Kevin?

Like what? ;)

J/K it's really just seamless, we never look at it, I get reports sent to my emails... but I just know it's working and every now and then I check it.

Like you said... it's just that extra layer of peace of mind and at$50/year.  All day!

I probably lose $50/year randomly so this is nothing.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html#af9ewp

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »
Have you done a data retrieve?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
Just a couple of files to test.