Author Topic: server question  (Read 1152 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
server question
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
we use a dell server to house all of our art files, and Imacs for actual computers.

At least once, sometimes twice a day the art team have to restart their computers, so that files from the server will show up properly.

For instance, we store all of our customer art files alphabettically. When they go to access the files on the server, they'll be able to access a-f, but nothing after that. Then they restart their computer and all is good!

Any idea on how to stop that?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: server question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
I don't know the true mechanics of this, but I've heard answers from some IT people and it seems that it could be two causes.

1,  the number of paths or ports for dedicated paths and speed (lacking correct term),  may be too small for you now. Most when starting out, pay for only what they need at that time. Then, a few years later after hiring more office people, artist, sales and computers, you clog up speed of traffic.  So you need to upgrade.

2, some networks and routers can be set to go to sleep after no activity for a while. Check that.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850