Author Topic: Noticing a new term getting used a lot. Same day service.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Noticing a new term getting used a lot. Same day service.
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
In the last few months, I have fielded an increasing number of phone calls and emails asking if I provide "same day service" usually referring to DTG as opposed to screen printing. Obviously could also apply to digital transfers and films as well.
I suspect that it's a marketing term that the public is starting to see.
Interestingly, today's call was from a guy who doesn't even need it today, but was using the term to differentiate from a process like screen printing that could take some real time.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Noticing a new term getting used a lot. Same day service.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
I am noticing it a whole bunch lately, 1-2 day turns small quanitites and highish color counts. Starting to make me consider DTG

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
Another played out one is , "solution"-"solutions" it's been so over used and now companies are bringing it back, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
I suspect that it's a marketing term that the public is starting to see.
Like "One-Hour Martinizing" and "Rustproofing" . . . ;-P
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
We get it almost daily for the sign side of the business, which is always same or next day anyways.
Tees and Coffee

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
Yeah, there has been an uptick in it...even with DTG it's still a time waster and a money loser.  Nobody wants to pay the prices it should cost for getting a shirt the same day and I you have to keep a somewhat open schedule to fit it in.  Not to mention inventory and so on.

It's just not worth it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:46:07 AM »
Yeah, there has been an uptick in it...even with DTG it's still a time waster and a money loser.  Nobody wants to pay the prices it should cost for getting a shirt the same day and I you have to keep a somewhat open schedule to fit it in.  Not to mention inventory and so on.

It's just not worth it.

It's more of a business model. Thirty years ago already, we had shops that would slap on the transfer of your choice as you waited.
It's only natural, that this same concept is now expected and often applied to our newer technologies. After all, our clients don't have to wait a few days to get a print out of their own desktop printers, (except for certain Epson owners, LOL!)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
This kind of service is something I actually offer pretty frequently, even for larger runs of screen printing.  I have done 2 hour turn times on 100 shirts manually a few times.  Like anything you just have to charge whatever makes sense to make it worth your while.  Now, it only works with clients who dont fit the mold of the thread about time wasters, but like I said I am doing almost entirely repeat and referral business so when those jobs come in, the details are mostly already figured out, except for the price!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
This kind of service is something I actually offer pretty frequently, even for larger runs of screen printing.  I have done 2 hour turn times on 100 shirts manually a few times.  Like anything you just have to charge whatever makes sense to make it worth your while.  Now, it only works with clients who dont fit the mold of the thread about time wasters, but like I said I am doing almost entirely repeat and referral business so when those jobs come in, the details are mostly already figured out, except for the price!

I also established the local reputation as the "go-to" guy for small and rush jobs when I started back in '88. In fact, many of the larger shops would send me their referrals for these jobs.
This thread is more pointing out this new niche, and its ensuing marketing label, that is a lot like the "1 hour film processing" of twenty-five years ago. With film, a need was found, and easily filled with automated equipment, though folks needing more hands-on attention to detail and quality still had that option with labs.

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
 "Slap a transfer on it while they wait" Made me laugh, cause yes at the time how awesome was that? , But today perhaps things have gotten better, such to the point that that kind of service could be a niche. "No money" I can already hear the recourse, but with the editing capabilities, software and equipment at our disposal today whos to say?  Photo blankets, coffee mugs and yes even a "Frog" on a "T" while -u-wait.... Location and overhead  (as always) would determine level of success however, most likely best suited for street venues in todays market.