Author Topic: New screen for every order?  (Read 9319 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: New screen for every order?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »

Let me know how it's working out for them.  I'm wondering why more shops aren't using these...

Unfortunately I think the answer is what we fear. I've seen a lot of variations of the "scanning pressure washer head inside
dip tank" idea and have never heard good things. Solid idea, but doesn't seem to pan out in reality.
Hell, if the $75k ones worked as well as claimed I'd bet more folks would have one.

Well that's a shame.  My idea is to dip tank for chems and only use the units to press rinse the screens with plain, warm water.  This seems super easy to automate right?  Basic press washer array on either side that travels on a rail, maybe a top rinse setup to rinse down any stray chunks of stuff after the press wash passes.   

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »

Let me know how it's working out for them.  I'm wondering why more shops aren't using these...

Unfortunately I think the answer is what we fear. I've seen a lot of variations of the "scanning pressure washer head inside
dip tank" idea and have never heard good things. Solid idea, but doesn't seem to pan out in reality.
Hell, if the $75k ones worked as well as claimed I'd bet more folks would have one.

Well that's a shame.  My idea is to dip tank for chems and only use the units to press rinse the screens with plain, warm water.  This seems super easy to automate right?  Basic press washer array on either side that travels on a rail, maybe a top rinse setup to rinse down any stray chunks of stuff after the press wash passes.

I think Rhino tech has something like that for around 10k. Basically 2 wands with 4 spray nozzles that spin and move left to right in an enclosed tank.

On a side note, not to derail the post, does anyone use a separate dip tank for dehazing?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
1) tank 1: 50/50 water and  CCI IW107

2) rinse

3) tank 2: Gem-zyme

4)powerwash

5) compressed air

6) rack it up.

i'll time the next round of screens and compare.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »

2) rinse

4)powerwash

5) compressed air

6) rack it up.

Awesome, thank you. Any scrubbing needed after the dehaze dip or you just power wash it straight out of the tank?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »

2) rinse

4)powerwash

5) compressed air

6) rack it up.

Awesome, thank you. Any scrubbing needed after the dehaze dip or you just power wash it straight out of the tank?

Neither of those is a de-haze. First one is a screen wash and the second an emulsion remover.

If you were to use a tank for de-haze, remember that most are 5-10 minutes tops. Make sure that you don't get into an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality.
I don't know if there would be a big advantage with a tank for this step.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Yeah my fault I looked up the chemicals after the face to realize they weren't dehazers. Wasn't sure if there was a real time savings here, just curious.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
no dehaze needed 99% off the time.  time savings is huge. I guarantee, we doubled our through put going this route. no scrubbing, no spraying. just power washing and rinsing with a hose. With the IW107/water mixture, ink stays on the screen until you hit it with light hose pressure...been using this system for about a year.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 02:12:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/KLx19HD7I6g
I have attached a video of the Saati system I have set up, it's really fast and what I like is that it doesn't have dip tanks, you are using fresh chemicals all the time.     I had a dip tank but after a while it gets messy especially it you have workers who leave screens in it etc.
I'd like to find a way to semi automate the water spraying, maybe a tank with jets on both sides that I can manually drop the screen into.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
no dehaze needed 99% off the time.  time savings is huge. I guarantee, we doubled our through put going this route. no scrubbing, no spraying. just power washing and rinsing with a hose. With the IW107/water mixture, ink stays on the screen until you hit it with light hose pressure...been using this system for about a year.

Thats pretty awesome, I may need to try that.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »
Nation, is de-hazing a standard step for you, or is it just some problem screens? Is it "haze" or stains?
When I did close to full time screen cleaning, my rule of thumb was if haze either clogged the mesh or could affect coating, or if a stain was obvious enough to possibly affect exposure times of delicate halftone areas, it was de-hazed.

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2016, 01:36:09 PM »
Nation, is de-hazing a standard step for you, or is it just some problem screens? Is it "haze" or stains?
When I did close to full time screen cleaning, my rule of thumb was if haze either clogged the mesh or could affect coating, or if a stain was obvious enough to possibly affect exposure times of delicate halftone areas, it was de-hazed.

It has always been a standard step. I currently do not use a dip tank at all so I would add the emulsion stripper, let sit for a little while. Power wash the emulsion off and then spray with dehazer, scrub, and then power wash again.

Even when there wasn't terrible stains I will do it because i figured the dehazer acts as a degreaser as well, no? Sounds like dehazing isn't always necessary, so maybe I can save myself some time moving forward.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

It has always been a standard step. I currently do not use a dip tank at all so I would add the emulsion stripper, let sit for a little while. Power wash the emulsion off and then spray with dehazer, scrub, and then power wash again.

Even when there wasn't terrible stains I will do it because i figured the dehazer acts as a degreaser as well, no? Sounds like dehazing isn't always necessary, so maybe I can save myself some time moving forward.
Well yes it's true some dehazers like CCI liquid renuit for instance, also work as a degreaser, they also do have the habit of being hard on the mesh like I mentioned. For that matter, many who use the right chemicals, seem to think that they don't even need a degreaser and do fine without it.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
https://youtu.be/KLx19HD7I6g
I have attached a video of the Saati system I have set up, it's really fast and what I like is that it doesn't have dip tanks, you are using fresh chemicals all the time.     I had a dip tank but after a while it gets messy especially it you have workers who leave screens in it etc.
I'd like to find a way to semi automate the water spraying, maybe a tank with jets on both sides that I can manually drop the screen into.

Hi Maxie
a thought for you attached is a typical high pressure water pump and some literature on industrial spray nozzles / headers and manifolds.
There are several manufacturers of such pumps, Goulds / G&L     Grundfus are the most popular and each example here have international distributors. The nozzles can be purchased in banks or as individual nozzles for headers you make. The pressures and spray patterns are endless.
Below are a couple of simple examples of typical pumps and one source for nozzles.
Depending on the pump you select and the flow and pressure you might expect to spend less than $1000.00
for the complete collection of components. the nozzles by the way are relatively inexpensive as individual items. The pumps can range from 2 or 3 hundred to as much as you can stand to spend.
Ask any questions.
mooseman

http://goulds.com/centrifugal-pumps-boosters/single-stage-end-suction/lb-booster-pump/

http://goulds.com/centrifugal-pumps-boosters/multi-stage-end-suction/e-hm-series-stainless-steel-horizontal-multistage-pumps/

http://us.grundfos.com/products/find-product/mq.html

Spray nozzles
http://www.spray.com/fabricated_products/headers-manifolds.aspx
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
Thanks, that's helpful information.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
Some great stuff in this thread, and the pump stuff from moose, thanks man! gonna keep those links in my bookmarks as I'm working in a manual reclaim machine kind of thing that will use a manifold with numerous tips.

something i learned from  spraying inside a tank.. foaming, think dish detergent in a fountain foaming up. Check the chemical you're using as you may need to add a defoamer like they do with the recirculation tanks.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services