Author Topic: New screen for every order?  (Read 9318 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

New screen for every order?
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
So one of the my guys asked "instead of reclaiming (statics) why not just use new screens". His point is that if we charge a customer for a screen (plus markup) why do we have to reclaim? Either store it or trash it. I've never even considered something like that and never would. But it's interesting...thoughts.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: New screen for every order?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
I think something like the Trax? frame or Shurloc EZ frame would be ideal for this if you went that route. Just think no reclaiming, no chemicals no time, just pop out the mesh toss it in the trash pop in a new panel and coat it. Makes some sense.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »
I have dreamed of using wood frames one time. Print them and find someone that can re purpose them. Eliminate reclaim completely
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
some shops dont, they use wooden statics.  I guess it could work, clean the frames, strip the mesh, and remesh.  Seems like a waste to me, not to mention you pay more out of pocket.

I would personally rather have an auto reclaim system that de-inks and makes a screen ready to coat on the other end...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
It is a waste if you ask me, yes customer might pay for the the screen and how much are you going to charge then to make a few dollars on it, when you can make a heck of a lot more by using it over and over.  Reclaiming is the dirt work of any screen shop but it has it's place, getting ready right now to do some dirt work and put then right back in service ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »
I think something like the Trax? frame or Shurloc EZ frame would be ideal for this if you went that route. Just think no reclaiming, no chemicals no time, just pop out the mesh toss it in the trash pop in a new panel and coat it. Makes some sense.

tried it. math didn't make sense. now we have a semi-automated reclaim. no moving parts involved but there is zero scrubbing or spraying of chems.

OH - if anyone is interested in 100+  trax/panelframes to give this a whirl - I know a guy selling them CHEAP ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »

I do a lot of one color jobs. So, why toss' em if they will repeat?
In fact, when I first got into shirt printing at a sporting goods store in the '80's, the owner had his own version of "retensionables" with wooden frames topped with short carpet spikes on strips that would hold the mesh. We cleaned, removed, and filed away.

As for cataloging screens, I tried it when I started on my own, and it only worked on certain jobs. It seems that notifying screen printers that the screens are not needed any longer is low on the list as a pizza restaurant folds.
They would need to used at least monthly to be worthwhile at all.

Now, when I worked at Andy's, we eventually had dozens and dozens (and eventually more dozens) of designs for the pre-print line, and kept the screens for all of them! That was a lot of screens! That way, whenever an order came up or there was free time, they were ready to go.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
There is no way tossing a frame is as cost effective as paying a kid 10$ to clean 15 screens in an hour and reuse them..... In my opinion....

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
There is no way tossing a frame is as cost effective as paying a kid 10$ to clean 15 screens in an hour and reuse them..... In my opinion....

I would agree with this too.

not to mention that you have to deal with cataloging if you're 'keeping' the screens...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
I have 6 total screens stored for 2 clients who order about 10 shirts at a time.  Designs are one color only.  I wouldn't store em for multicolor jobs honestly unless it was super loose registration and no underbase needed.  One screen can be used hundreds of times without issue and takes up very little room.  Not sure why anyone would rather pay rent and the upfront cost of the screen for every job...

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 02:40:37 PM »
I think it's pure economics, if your time and chemicals reclaiming cost more than a new frame then it's worth it.
Maybe using Newmans with the stretching table would make it economical, just replace the mesh.
Ryonet site has frames for $20 +, I don't see how it can pay not to reclaim.
We just set up a Saati spray system for cleaning and reclaiming.    It's really easy and fast.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
The name of the company escapes me at the moment but they did not reclaim screens.  If I remember correctly they were not textile printers but flat stock with chem based inks.
They were in a town/city that would not allow them to discharge any of the wastewater from the reclaim process down the drain. 
They had a local screen supply company stretching frames for them.  They had it worked out so they had a minimal amount of glue holding the mesh in place.  They would print the job and pull the mesh.  Every couple of days they would deliver a quantity of stripped frames and pick up newly stretched frames.
They had put a lot of time into finding water discharge solutions and this was the easiest for them. 
I do not know if they are still in business or not...this was about 15 years ago.

I am sure the screen supply company was tickled pink with the constant stream of stretching to be done.

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »
Screens probably have the most ROI of anything in your shop. Pay $20-$30 for 1 screen and it'll print thousands of t-shirts. I don't hate reclaiming enough to do something like that. Also, it seems like it would be a pain to constantly throw out frames constantly or send them to be remeshed.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »
Brent, the owner of the screen division of Xenon has always said this.  He even has the math and a program set up for this.  The secret is quantity.  At the number of screens you would use to do this the cost drops dramatically.  Wood would be used as there is no way to warp a wood screen without wetting it.  No reclaim no wetting.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Online Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
Provided you have enough space to house all of these screens you'd be tossing.