Author Topic: Email provider  (Read 4824 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Email provider
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
Who do you guys use for a email provider?  Our website is through GoDaddy, I am not web savvy enough to know, does that mean I need to keep buying email plans through them?  I know a lot of people run email through Gmail, but I'm not ok with a @gmail address.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Email provider
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
we use "google for work"

all the google integration and features, but emails are @ our domain.

supports aliasing, fowarding, etc.

I think it's a few $ per user per month.

30gb 'shared' Google Drive space, google docs, etc.

-J

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
that's what we do too.

google for biz is tightttt
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
We use Google apps with our domain name.

https://apps.google.com/intx/en_ph/pricing.html

Admin(me) can change password to any account anytime. e.g: If an employee leaves, I can still retrieve info in his or her account.

DO NOT USE NORMAL GMAIL for your business. If an employee gets fired, you wont be able to log into his/her account.

I don't use Office365, but I think they offer the same service as well.
https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=582dd598-7078-4597-87e6-e5aa7fc7507a#1hmcemail

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll have to look closer at it.  I had looked earlier and all I saw was ones that were @gmail but you could change the name it displayed.

Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll have to look closer at it.  I had looked earlier and all I saw was ones that were @gmail but you could change the name it displayed.

yes, google will let you use your own domain name if you'd like. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE OK WITH LETTING THEM READ ALL YOUR EMAIL! As that is what they do, harvesting info so they can spam and target you more with ads you probably don't want to see. And then, there is the issue of cooperating with the unnamed agencies and passing the private correspondence over without any warrants. . . godaddy will let you set up your own email services, but are (or were few years back) only allowing POP services. If you can live with it, just get it going where you are and it will not cost you anything (and your information stays private). I can help you set it up if you'd like.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:46 PM »
We use Gmail as an interface for our host email address.  It's pretty simple to set up in your Gmail settings. And free, although we do pay for extra storage.  Gmail labs are awesome, especially Canned Responses and Send Undo.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »

yes, google will let you use your own domain name if you'd like. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE OK WITH LETTING THEM READ ALL YOUR EMAIL! As that is what they do, harvesting info so they can spam and target you more with ads you probably don't want to see. And then, there is the issue of cooperating with the unnamed agencies and passing the private correspondence over without any warrants. . . godaddy will let you set up your own email services, but are (or were few years back) only allowing POP services. If you can live with it, just get it going where you are and it will not cost you anything (and your information stays private). I can help you set it up if you'd like.

pierre
Pierre.. it really doesn't matter if your email is able to be read off the server or not as most of the letter agencies have passive fiber taps (prisims) on the inbound and outbound legs at the peering points.  While it is true that Google uses the data for targeted marketing, it would be foolhardy to believe that ANY data (even encrypted) is truly private once it is on the wire.

*Talking as a CTO of a prior large Midwest based ISP that had a rather large device called Carnivore installed on our network.

Don't even get me started on CALEA intercepts and the "capturing" of phone calls.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »

pierre
Pierre.. it really doesn't matter if your email is able to be read off the server or not as most of the letter agencies have passive fiber taps (prisims) on the inbound and outbound legs at the peering points.  While it is true that Google uses the data for targeted marketing, it would be foolhardy to believe that ANY data (even encrypted) is truly private once it is on the wire.

*Talking as a CTO of a prior large Midwest based ISP that had a rather large device called Carnivore installed on our network.

Don't even get me started on CALEA intercepts and the "capturing" of phone calls.
Ya, took the words out of my mouth....  :P

I looked on Google again,  sorry for being so stupid guys, am I understand it correctly 30 email accounts for $3/month?
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
I looked on Google again,  sorry for being so stupid guys, am I understand it correctly 30 email accounts for $3/month?

$3/month per account...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:07:30 AM »
I use google with a custom domain as well.  I guess now they call it google for work.  I started when it was still in beta around 2007 or 2008 I think.  I didnt pay anything for a long time due to being grandfathered in, but when I rebranded recently I had to start paying like everyone else.  I think I currently pay something around $10 a month, but I also use Google Drive and have a hilariously huge amount of storage for backups and remote working.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:22 AM »
we use "google for work"

all the google integration and features, but emails are @ our domain.

supports aliasing, fowarding, etc.

I think it's a few $ per user per month.

30gb 'shared' Google Drive space, google docs, etc.

Ditto....

-J

Online aauusa

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »
we use yahoo business.  or it was until they sold last year.   like it very stable can have web based or pop.  we use web base out of office and outlook in house.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »
Same here. We use google apps for work. Funny story, we registered about a week before it became a paid service, so now we got a few accounts for free. I only pay on 2 of them ($1,99/month) because we needed the extra space on them (standard is 10GB, we got 100GB for these two accounts).

Coupled with Office 365 it's pretty cool as we can access them through Outlook.

It's a great alternative as you can have your emails up even if your website server is down.

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
What's wrong with Thunderbird!
Used it for decades- and it is very reliable!
Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com