Author Topic: Epson 1100 ink - Dye or Pigment?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Epson 1100 ink - Dye or Pigment?
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
This old printer uses Epson's Dura Brite pigment inks.
So, the way I understand it, is that pigment based printers can go dye, but not the other way around. Is this correct? Is it something to do with head shape or size?
Can one go back and forth as long as the old stuff is cleaned out?

Although not as plentiful as a few years back, refillable carts are still available (from $19-$59), and both kinds of ink, reputed to be compatible with this printer.

So, my printers do double duty for both film positives and heat transfers. The factory pigment inks seem to be fine for both. What do you guys think or know from experience about which direction I should take?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Epson 1100 ink - Dye or Pigment?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
I know Cobra sells pigment kits for the stock dye-based 1400/1430, I don't think there's an issue going from dye to pigment with quality ink if that's what you want to do. 

I did pigment for about a year, switched to that inkjetcarts screen dye black, I think I'd buy another printer if I had to do transfers and dye black didn't work. 
Positives with the inexpensive film I'm using are 100% better IMHO.

Someone mentioned the screen ink not playing well with pigment--I had clogged nozzles, and I did have to do a few flushes.   I have a tank CIS so it would be a serious pain to do on a regular basis.  I couldn't see carts being too much easier to do, except for the lack of tube to clean/prime. 

Offline Hegemone

• Verified/Junior
Epson 1100 ink - Dye or Pigment?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »
Yeah the 1100 goes both ways. Just get two ciss refillable carts and a third for cleaning the heads between swaps. You will waste ink on the head cleanings but not as much if you have a set of flush cars. You run the clean a few times then swap to the carts you ant then print some gamut grids and nozzle test till you get solid results. You will want to follow the easy instructions for installing a diy waste tank to catch the cleaning cycles so it doesnt end up saturationg the pad and leaking out under the printer over time. Its agooey mess when this happens.

Frankly I would just go with the pigment and stay there. On the 1100 you should be ok printing films and transfers with the cobra pigment inks. I have done it that way and haven't really seen the need yet to try the dye based. Both are pretty similar in how much uv they block but the dye just looks more opaque looking thus easier to sell as "makes darker films" btw the filmmaker Dtg version is a good rip and cheap for this printer.

Oh by the time your done you could get another 1100 refurb from epson and just swap it to dye and stay there lol.

This is just my thoughts. Nothing more nothing less.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:57:09 PM by Hegemone »
(mikel@)(www.) 1PartArt1PartTee.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:10 AM »
Thanks for the input.
Well, the first positive I shot with the stock pigment ink appears pretty good. I will still play with the different paper settings to see if that affects ink volume any more than just "best photo" does. If so, pigment is what they recommend for transfers but unfortunately not for positives (though Richard is going on what he hears, and has no first hand knowledge) The "waterproof" films are pretty friendly to all inks.
Cobra looks to be a very complete supplier for this stuff, and Richard there, assured me that their pigment inks perform exactly the same as the Epson ink.

If I had a way back machine, I would go and buy another of these at $80-$90 like last January's close-out rather than the insane prices folks seem to ask on any discontinued model today.
Then, I would never even install the pigment carts, put in a set of dye filled refillables, and have a machine dedicated to film.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:46 AM »
I use Dye fot the last 2 years. No issues.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »

Dennis, I know that you use the same printer, and though we talked when I first got mine, I'm finally getting around to actually using it.

Are your dye ink films noticeably better than the ones made with the original pigment inks?

Are you making a lot of transfers as well as films?

Which inks are you getting now? (the ebay links you gave me last year are now dead).

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

Dennis, I know that you use the same printer, and though we talked when I first got mine, I'm finally getting around to actually using it.

Are your dye ink films noticeably better than the ones made with the original pigment inks?

Are you making a lot of transfers as well as films?

Which inks are you getting now? (the ebay links you gave me last year are now dead).

I use it only for films and regular paper prints. No transfers.

PM sent

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »

I use it only for films and regular paper prints. No transfers.

PM sent

Did you notice a difference in "blackness" over the Epson pigment?
What settings do you use when outputting film? (or is that all on a RIP you are using?)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
I'll take a screen caption tonight and I'll post.
I believe it is set to Best Photo quality, Black only, paper is Presentation Paper matte and borderless.
I always use borderless because it print a bit more dense and slower

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
No rip

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
We run a 1400 with Pigment inks for transfers, and a 1400 with dye based black for films.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
We run a 1400 with Pigment inks for transfers, and a 1400 with dye based black for films.

Steve

Ideal

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
I know this is an old thread but want to know what people are doing for inkjet heat transfers and film positives out of one printer in 2016?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
As in 2013. I use pigment inks as they work fine on the WR films and make better transfers