Author Topic: Coating screens Rotate or flip?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Coating screens Rotate or flip?
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
I am planning on building a screen holder for coating.
It will be easier to have the screen rotate but I've read that it's better to flip the screen. (Top to bottom)
I haven't seen a commercial coater that flips
Anyone have any experience with this?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Coating screens Rotate or flip?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
one of our fellow board members posted a very cool stand he built a few months ago, maybe someone (Andy?) can post the link... lots of pics too

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »
one of our fellow board members posted a very cool stand he built a few months ago, maybe someone (Andy?) can post the link... lots of pics too

Steve

If that's the case, all I could do is search, or browse through the DIY section like anyone else.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »

Steve

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,15094.0.html
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
want an easy stand..

lean 3 screens against the wall leaving the one in front pulled back to create a ledge.. place screen on, two handed inside coat, flip, coat outside and put in rack.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »

Steve

If that's the case, all I could do is search, or browse through the DIY section like anyone else.

Sorry Andy, I wasn't trying to make work for you, it's just that you do it so well, and a lot of times I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
We flip.  We coat two handed on a worktable made of 2x4s and plywood with two 2x4s to hold the screen in place.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline starchild

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

Steve

Sorry Andy, I wasn't trying to make work for you, it's just that you do it so well, and a lot of times I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

Steve
I agree

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:06:33 AM »
Bottom line is that the search feature here is far from robust, and often exacerbated by less-than-perfect subject lines. I can do no better than any of you.
However, I have found seemingly better success lately clicking the Search option by Home Forum Help Search Admin Profile, etc rather than the window in the upper right corner.
Of course, it may just be my imagination that it's any better

For something like this, I would have just browsed the DIY section as it is not saturated, and this thread would be easy to spot.

edit:
Actually I just tried both searches, and if I was clever enough to use the term "DIY Screen Coater" it showed up on both
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:09:43 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
I always flipped and rotated etc until about 2 months ago.  Now I just rotate for 1/1 but from the same "bottom" of the screen.  I've seen literally no difference at all in the finished screen.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
Mine is not DYI however it uses a hydraulic cylinder to hold the screen snug. Replaceable at Auto Parts store. Designed to flip for better stencil. Posted a pic a long while back.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »
I always flipped and rotated etc until about 2 months ago.  Now I just rotate for 1/1 but from the same "bottom" of the screen.  I've seen literally no difference at all in the finished screen.

Same here, flipping did NOTHING, so just a quick spin, but 2 and then 1. I've been recently asking guys about their coating techniques, seems people go different ways. The last 4 years have been 2 pulls on the shirt side, spin and then 1 pull on the squeegee side to push back through, but I'm hearing some guys are doing that reversed. I used to do it reversed till someone "important" told me I was doing it backwards and incorrect, lol. What's your technique guys????
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »

Same here, flipping did NOTHING, so just a quick spin, but 2 and then 1. I've been recently asking guys about their coating techniques, seems people go different ways. The last 4 years have been 2 pulls on the shirt side, spin and then 1 pull on the squeegee side to push back through, but I'm hearing some guys are doing that reversed. I used to do it reversed till someone "important" told me I was doing it backwards and incorrect, lol. What's your technique guys????

The answer to that is you create an inkwell above the mesh vs and inkwell below the mesh.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
I used to do 2/1 like you (shirt/squeegee), but with SP1400 and thin thread mesh 1/1 is perfect for basically everything.  I am in the process of testing out a bunch of variations though because I just had a handful of screens stretched with 83/71 mesh and the whole idea of those screens is one hit whites and shimmers etc.  Basically I am trying to get big eom with the same emulsion I like for everything else.  We'll see how that goes...

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 02:49:16 PM »

The answer to that is you create an inkwell above the mesh vs and inkwell below the mesh.

Soooooo, what's your favorite technique John?
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com