Author Topic: Looking for inexpensive laptop.  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Looking for inexpensive laptop.
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:26:30 AM »
My real only requirement is that it can run Corey Draw X4. Haven't researched much but will an I3 processor be enough? I  haven't had a laptop for about a year now and I kind of equate that to my business decline as I have essentially gotten away from working on my business at home. Some will say I shouldn't work at home but I need to get back to where we had steady growth and that was when I was focused on it and working on it from home.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Looking for inexpensive laptop.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:12:41 AM »
Try a refurbished computer from these guys
http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Notebooks/RefurbishedStore/ID-64?name=Refurbished-Laptops-Notebooks
I have bought several desk tops they work fine and for the delivered price you can simply chuck them out and start again

www.newegg.com
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
I recommend at least a Core i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram, preferably 16 gigs so you are somewhat future proof. There are some good PCs out there for the money.

Asus and Acer has some good bang for the buck laptops, I'd take a look at some of them.

What is your price range?

You can get things done with an i3 and 4 gigs of ram, but I personally can't stand any kind of lag. 8 gigs of ram will help you multitask a little better without anything slowing down.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:45:26 AM by Nation03 »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
I second moose and nation. Newegg is excellent, and Asus make very nice machines that offer great bang for your buck. Definitely go with an i5 and 8gb ram minimum.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
How about this one? Not sure if the SSD drive is good enough or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5WM2CA1212

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
How about this one? Not sure if the SSD drive is good enough or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5WM2CA1212

that looks pretty good for the money. 128GB will work with Win7 as long as you don't install too much stuff. You'll have to store everything but the programs on a flash drive or external hdd. OS and Corel will probably take up close to 100GB (I'm guessing).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
Oh not sure I want to deal with a flash drive or external HD for storage, might have to keep looking.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Oh not sure I want to deal with a flash drive or external HD for storage, might have to keep looking.

you'd only have to store the extras or older files. You should be able to keep 30 day's worth of work on it. I just checked my system and Win 7 with about a dozen programs is approx 100GB.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
find one with a larger SSD.  You will really want the extra space and they don't cost that much more.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »
Ok Ill keep looking, thanks

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Try to find something with at least a 256 SSD. Also, a full size or even a micro SD card reader is a great way to expand storage with little hassle. I keep a card in my thinkpad and it sits flush. You can get a 256 card for pretty cheap and it'll double your storage.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
That 128 drive was the hot setup a few years back, as anything larger cost a fortune. Now, they are often below $50, and double the size is less than $90.
My desktop is three years old, and came with a 128 SSD for OS, boot and most applications. I run CorelDRAW Suite X6, an old Photoshop 7, Open Office, and a half dozen or so other little things and have 14gigs left only.
I also have a 1 terrabyte HDD for data

Now, recently, I've thought of upgrading an old i5 laptop with an SSD installed in the DVD bay.
I noticed that the Lennovo which is linked still has a similar space to add another drive. Newer machines don't always have this.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 12:33:47 PM »
This one should work much better ya think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331328

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »
There is not a thing wrong with 128G SSD drive.

I have Win10 on a 110G drive and the operating system and all installed aps take up only 35.3G leaving 75.9G free.  It's on a desktop so I use a second drive for general storage such as .ps, .cdr files, etc. 

However running a laptop would require, as mentioned, a USB drive, but you could just operate using the available SSD space and then archive off files on a regular basis.

Just didn't want you to be too concerned if you have to end up with a 128G SSD.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers