Author Topic: Setting up remote access  (Read 1667 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Setting up remote access
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
Is anyone here a computer wizard, that I could pay to help us set up our network, so that I can access our server and computers from our house, which is outside of the network?

We run all Macs, except for our main server, which is running Windows Server 2012. We have a static IP at the shop, but cannot get one at our house.

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Setting up remote access
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »
I'm no expert by any means but we used to use "Gotomypc"  it was a little slow but with a fast internet connection it should work wonders.  I'm assuming they've built the software for macs
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:56 AM »
not really wanting to do a gotomypc/team viewer option, but thank you for the suggestion!
Night Owls

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
the term you're looking for here is VPN. 

with a Static IP at the shop, you should be able to find a local IT consultant who can help you set your 2012 server up to act as a vpn server which your remote computers (with a bit of effort) can connect to.

your other option would be to set up a remote access server of some sort on a mac mini... however, I've never heard of anybody doing this.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »
the term you're looking for here is VPN. 

with a Static IP at the shop, you should be able to find a local IT consultant who can help you set your 2012 server up to act as a vpn server which your remote computers (with a bit of effort) can connect to.

your other option would be to set up a remote access server of some sort on a mac mini... however, I've never heard of anybody doing this.

Thanks! I have been looking into VPNs all morning. I'm not a tech dummy, but typically I need someone to show me how to get it goin, because I tend to miss little things. I've seen people doing mac mini servers, but that's usually more for personal stuff (photos/documents/etc).
Night Owls

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
vpn is the ticket.  Super easy once you get it setup.  You can basically pick and choose what you want to "share".

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
I am not a network wiz by any means, but we have used like 3 things for a remote desktop type control my absolute favorite is Chrome(Google) remote desktop. Works flawlessly.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
I use TeamViewer on every computer we own plus some in my Mom's shop.  Makes it easy for me to check out any problems they may be having.  You can access them from your iPhone as well.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
I have been using remote access software for many years from VPN's that I set up on my server, to UltraVNC, Windows Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, etc...

The simplest, and the one I continue to use daily is Teamviewer 10. 
I service computers as a second job and use this to access a ton of systems from homeowner to businesses with 30 workstations and multiple servers.

If this is for you to access your systems there is no concern of permissions for specific drives/files etc.
But, if you are looking to allow employees limited access, I would suggest setting up a VPN.

Best of luck.