Author Topic: Best Method to Print this design  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Boldline

Best Method to Print this design
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:19:28 AM »
Hey everyone,
I designed a logo for a client who know wants to put it full front, nice and large on shirts. I am new to getting shirts done with waterbase or discharge methods, but I was wondering if this was an ideal candidate for that over traditional plastisol. Reason being, I see a lot of ink real estate on the shirt and I worry about it being a "shield of ink".
They also want to consider doing the design on a multitude of shirt colors...  so I was thinking if I did it as a four color, it could go on different dark colored shirts regardless of whether the color was part of the design or not, and if I kept it on light colored shirts, I could do the same.
Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated!
Mat
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Best Method to Print this design
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
If you want to go discharge, the shirts will need to be dischargeable (well, duh, right?) so you have to have a color list of dischargeable shirts for the customer to pick from for starters, then careful planning, but I'm sure the others will start chiming in. There is also plastisol on overprinting a discharge base as well...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
Not trying to discourage you, but if you don't have much experience with discharge, I wouldn't recommend starting out with a large multicolor design.  Discharge underbase on the other hand is a bit more flexible as you only have to worry about one discharge screen. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:13:54 AM »
I think Waterbased is the way to go.  Find some nice 100% cotton shirts, and you shouldnt have a problem.  I would say discharge, but the orange shirt color may be a bit of an issue.  I could be wrong though, I dont use discharge that much.  You could even go with a s mesh screen for the base, and a top white in plastisol, and that would help with the hand.  Just my .02$

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »
Don't forget about his technical hurdles with his halftone fade in the text. 

Not a simple task for a beginner.

Depending: outsource for full discharge.  In house do a discharge base.

Can your set up fully cure discharge?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.