Author Topic: Best CC + OSX combo?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Best CC + OSX combo?
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
Running Yosemite 10.10.5 across all the front end machines and CC current and it's not great.  Super slow, beach ball all the time for doing things like using the type tool....   This is across two different art workstations, one an imac that maxed out with ram, the other a beefed up mac pro.  Gets a little worse using a wacom touch enabled tablet.

Also running CC on a surface pro 4 and it does a little better on Windows 10 from what I've seen (the touch mode is actually fantastic in illustrator) so I'm guessing we have a bad combo of osx version and CC. 

Anyone know the magic combination of osx version and CC right now? 

I can't believe how much of a step back it has been for us updating the os on the machines and moving to CC.  We're paying a lot more money for software that crawls, crashes and is consistently buggy.   Otherwise I'm ok with the CC billing setup, it just needs to work like professional software which it really doesn't anymore.   I miss snow leopard and CS5/6, I flew with that setup. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Best CC + OSX combo?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Damn, that's not very encouraging. I personally run CS6, Illy and PS on an iMac from this year, no issues. However, we'll be upgrading the art dept. later this year, which will mean she's going to have to learn CC; I'll be catching all the heat when it doesn't work...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
I'll check our computers tonight for you. We have three i-macs that we need to restart at least once a day, but they don't seem to be that buggy.

my 2 imacs with parallels, now that's beach ball city.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
Yosemite was slow to begin with.  In fact, Apple's next OS, 10.11 El Capitan's primary objective was to improve performance as Yosemite was a disappointment.  I can attest to the fact that Yosemite is slow.  Although not as slow with CC as you're describing.

I have an external 1 TB Thunderbolt traditional hard drive with 5 partitions I use for testing different operating systems.  Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan are installed.  Yosemite ranked at the bottom in all the speed tests I performed.

I would update to their newest OS although make sure your current system is backed up.  I have switched to 10.11 on a 4 1/2 year-old iMac, which has only 8 GB of RAM and is booting from an external SSD Thunderbolt drive and the system is incredibly fast, almost instantaneous using CC 2015 and previous versions.  Its almost as fast as my brand new iMac with double the RAM and a faster processor booting from an internal SSD drive.

Edit Added:  I also think you're better doing a clean install, preferably to new drives.  I've never been a fan of habitual full-system upgrades written over the installed system.  If possible, look into an external SSD Thinderbolt drive and installing the new OS and all the apps to that and boot from there.  Then use the internal HD for file storage as to not clutter up the boot drive.  A smaller 256 GB is all that's needed.  Search Amazon for a Transcend 256 GB Thunderbolt.  Its only about $220 or so.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:25:12 PM by UltraSeps »
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
I noticed slow/weird behavior on the OS side too.  In fact it was really sad moving from Snow Leopard to Yosemite and waiting for a jpeg preview to open.  Thanks for confirming that for me!  It's helpful to know someone did a side by side on this.  The combination we're running has made it hard to tell if the issues are on the Adobe or Apple side.   It's clearly a little of both. 

We'll look into El Capitan but I need to make sure CC is going to play with it well.  Steve it sounds like it's working well for you?

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:38:37 PM »
No issues at all with El Capitan and Creative Cloud.  Its the fastest combination I have used to date.  Also consider installing the OS and apps to a new drive.  Or if not possible, back up the internal drives, wipe the boot drive and start off clean.  I know, its a scary proposition.  This is the reason I recommend the external Thunderbolt SSD's and leaving the internal with all your files, etc. intact.  Its the most painless way to go.
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
No issues here at all. Running it on a 2009 iMac. I do have maxed Ram (16Gb) and and SSD drive though.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
no issues here with El Capitan on my macbook pro or my mac-mini... (mac mini is obviously slower).

Yosemite wasn't terrible, but certainly not as fast...

I would like to see Apple get their heads out of their butt on network file share access tho.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
Running Yosemite 10.10.5 across all the front end machines and CC current and it's not great.  Super slow, beach ball all the time for doing things like using the type tool....   This is across two different art workstations, one an imac that maxed out with ram, the other a beefed up mac pro.  Gets a little worse using a wacom touch enabled tablet.

Also running CC on a surface pro 4 and it does a little better on Windows 10 from what I've seen (the touch mode is actually fantastic in illustrator) so I'm guessing we have a bad combo of osx version and CC. 

Anyone know the magic combination of osx version and CC right now? 

I can't believe how much of a step back it has been for us updating the os on the machines and moving to CC.  We're paying a lot more money for software that crawls, crashes and is consistently buggy.   Otherwise I'm ok with the CC billing setup, it just needs to work like professional software which it really doesn't anymore.   I miss snow leopard and CS5/6, I flew with that setup.
We got the same issues. It got really bad once we installed El Capitan. What fixed it for us was getting a SSD use it as startup disk. Never had such a fast MAC and all our CC problems are gone too. Actually in some cases a damaged hard drive might cause these issues you have with CC too. Fair to say MAC disk utility is not the sharpest tool in the box. Sometimes there are surface damages on the hard drive which just slow the whole machine down and cause spinning beach balls for a few minutes. We used Scannerz for MAC. It was such an eye opener. There were so many defects on our harddrive that were never picked up by MACs own disk utility tool. I really recommend a SSD instead of the MAC hard drive.