Author Topic: Employees and cell phones  (Read 6825 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Employees and cell phones
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Moreso than the problem of employees wasting time on the phone, the addiction to the damn things
is just outright scary.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
Rookie printers
one time using company time =warning
second time=yellow card
third time=red card
just like in soccer

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Moreso than the problem of employees wasting time on the phone, the addiction to the damn things
is just outright scary.

Even scarier, the addiction is not bounded by youth. My wife's best friend, is 64 years old and totally addicted, to the point of even texting while driving! (and has never even used a headset for conversations)!
We are to the point that like with a teenage child whose ride home has been compromised by a drinker, my wife is prepared to just ask to be let out and call me to pick her up next time!

This may be a new category on both car and health insurance forms as it certainly increases the odds for expenses in both.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:16:00 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
Talking on a Mobile carries a $200.00 fine and texting is considered Dangerous Driving and will lose you your Licence for at least 12 month here in Australia.
Stuart

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »
I've heard stories of pallbearers dropping caskets when their phone rang. True or not,
I could definitely see it happening. That kind of instinctual reaction to an electronic
device scares the hell out of me. Personally I can't hit the silence button fast enough.

I had a friend of mine working for me (never again) and he was keen on answering his phone
in the middle of a run. Literally stopping all production so he could chat about his new hairdo or
whatever. I would just sit there and stare. Then one day on an 8 color waterbased print, and I can
just hear the screens drying, I gave him what for. I really don't mind employees staying up to
date with their friends, even on my time, but sweet jeebus in the middle of a run? If the phone beeps
and you drop whatever the hell you're doing to give it your undivided attention it might be time to re-evaluate
your life choices.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
Talking on a Mobile carries a $200.00 fine and texting is considered Dangerous Driving and will lose you your Licence for at least 12 month here in Australia.

It is punishable here as well, and that barely slows it down. In fact, just last week, a  BMW was rammed, killing the driver. Rammed by a driver of a pick-up trying to elude the cops who were stopping him for using his phone.

The woman I mentioned, is constantly, during a conversation with my wife, saying something like, gotta put the phone down there's a cop. Not hang up, just put it down until the policeman is gone!

These folks are seriously hooked.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:49 AM »
I've heard stories of pallbearers dropping caskets when their phone rang. True or not

I do know that was a scene in some bad movie where it was a girl calling the guy and he just dropped it.

Might be one of those people that have a hard time letting facts get in the way of a good "story".

But it could very well be based off of factual events all the same.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 02:11:39 AM »
Simple:

"No texting or personal calls unless you're on break or it's an urgent matter. If you have any questions about that, you're fired."

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
Just got the new iphone and it comes in handy in the car. Just tell the virtual assistant siri who you want to call or text and dictate the text (email too) and say send. Combine that with the headphones w/ mic or bluetooth and you are hands free. What cracks me up is when people talk with their hands in the car like the person is there.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
What cracks me up is when people talk with their hands in the car like the person is there.

Hey hey hey... that's our culture here.  My favorite is when I catch myself giving directions using my hands while on the phone. :)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
so far - the best - a customer walks in, ready to place the order, cell -or now it's called " a mobile device" rings -they do not say excuse me, I need to take this -they just answer like usual. They try to hold a conversation with me -and on the phone. You can clearly hear the other person on the phone and it is a useless conversation, or they are calling everyone to get the sizes . goes like this: What color shirt are you thinking of? -Oh whatever you think looks good with the graphics, just make me a "Oh Hi Paula. . .can you hear me? What?. . .Linda? Oh, She's fine, she had surgery on her rectum, yeah. . yeah. . too much fluid around her colon.". . . I have started to just walk away from the counter. . . I should make a sign -what should it say?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
. I should make a sign -what should it say?

Hang up and order!

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
That is hilarious!  simple and to the point.  I still give this one guy a hard time because he was complaining that his phone didn't work anymore because he got it wet.  I asked him how it got wet.  He dropped it in the toilet.  I couldn't stop laughing and then he said it was the third time it happened.  I had tears running down my eyes I was laughing so hard.  I told him maybe it was Karma for all the times people had to listen to him on the toilet while talking to him. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
Happened to my daughter but that is because those darn kids where their pants WAY too tight.

She had to buy her replacement battery though.

Offline EnMartian

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
That is hilarious!  simple and to the point.  I still give this one guy a hard time because he was complaining that his phone didn't work anymore because he got it wet.  I asked him how it got wet.  He dropped it in the toilet.  I couldn't stop laughing and then he said it was the third time it happened.  I had tears running down my eyes I was laughing so hard.  I told him maybe it was Karma for all the times people had to listen to him on the toilet while talking to him.

Oh, that's funny and gross at the same time.  I can't imagine calling someone while I was in the bathroom.  There's no conversation that can't wait a few minutes. 

It really amazes me how cell phones have eroded manners.   I have on co-worker who will be holding a conversation with me and will stop in the middle because he got a text and then reply to the text while completely ignoring me.   I see that happen with texts and phone calls all the time.  What makes what's happening on the phone more important than what's happening right in front of you?  And what happened to being polite.  It takes two seconds to excuse yourself and go deal with the call if that's what you need to do.