Author Topic: Flamenco  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Flamenco
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
There was a post about Flamenco recently, I found this on https://softwareforscreenprinters.com/
There is a good article by Charlie Facini, well worth reading.
Look under support, silk screen tips.

ELLIPTICAL vs. ROUND (halftones):

So many conversations surround this topic and the answers are just as confusing. Who to believe? Learn the facts then believe yourself.
Here it is. Once again Elliptical dots where invented to fight against the dot gain created by using a rosette pattern for CMYK. The close proximity of the spots left little room for proper dot gain causing an unwanted build up and merge of inks. Rather than use the tradition and proper round dot it was discovered that an Elliptical dot does not spread equally in all directions. This was helpful to combat dot gain issues, but it’s a “bandage” fix for using the improper method of four separate angles (a rosette pattern) for colors, rather than the proper “single angle” method called Flemenco.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Flamenco
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »
My reasoning for use of elliptical dots has nothing to do with the angles or rosette pattern.
Elliptical dots don't 'fight against' dot gain, they have more linear dot gain whereas round dots have a huge midtone jump, at the expense of seeing the chaining direction in midtones more easily.

Who to believe indeed... might have to read some more of that when I have time, see what other great truths I've missed...  :)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
My reasoning for use of elliptical dots has nothing to do with the angles or rosette pattern.
Elliptical dots don't 'fight against' dot gain, they have more linear dot gain whereas round dots have a huge midtone jump, at the expense of seeing the chaining direction in midtones more easily.

Who to believe indeed... might have to read some more of that when I have time, see what other great truths I've missed...  :)

I am with you this one, but a little bit of digging will show who's right. . . .

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
When I first read about elliptical dots a looooooonnnnggggg time ago, dot gain was not the reason, but the aforementioned mid-tone jump. However, I found that to be pretty good reading and food for thought. We do both, usually on a whim I'm afraid...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »

I am with you this one, but a little bit of digging will show who's right. . . .

Pierre

are you going to be at MindsEye this weekend?

if so, let's try to talk about this 'on the side' ... very interested in talking about this a bit....
ie, would one be better than the other if you were going to compensate in in the curve on the rip?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
Read most of it, interesting analogy to flamenco being like a kid mixing yellow and blue to make green.

Would make a great segue to 'intro to wet trapping capabilities of ink'. ;)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »

Pierre

if so, let's try to talk about this 'on the side' ... very interested in talking about this a bit....
ie, would one be better than the other if you were going to compensate in in the curve on the rip?
'Would love to hang out, but on vacation this week. 'Next time . . .

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:05:07 PM »

Pierre

Richard talked about this at the last Minds Eye workshop, I'll be there this weekend...this get him going on it again. 

From what I remember, the purpose of the elliptical dot was that the sides of the dots will eventually meet (or can) on all four sides giving better transitions, where as the round dots will never meet...I don't know if that was exactly what he said or if that even makes sense lol.

However, upon another conversation with Joe, round dots was the prevailing answer.  What I understood was that before the advent of digital film/rips, elliptical dots gave a better representation.  Due to the algorithms used by the rips and the quality of the films, round dots now provide the best representation of highlights, which everyone sees. 

Again, this is what I thought I heard, and is in no way intended to be a correct answer.  We'll have to clarify with the masters this weekend.

FWIW, I use round dots only as I find they give me the best transitions and I have to make less adjustments on press.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Elliptical.  Better highlights, better shadows, better mid tones.

And back when we had high end wet film processors, the 20-100,000 film printers had real rips and they all had elliptical dot options as well as true stochastic dot options.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850