Author Topic: Workshop safety and rings (or other personal effects)  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
Workshop safety and rings (or other personal effects)
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:08 AM »
I have recently become the owner of a wedding ring (aka game over) and considering I have never worn a ring before it's a sensation I'm still getting used to. It has made me think about potential safety concerns while working with screen printing machines, most obviously autos.
I know certain tradesman don't wear rings for safety reasons but I am interested to know if there is any specific advice specific to this industry?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Workshop safety and rings (or other personal effects)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »
With a handle like Wildcard my guess ....well lets not go there.
Do you wear a watch, ring, watch same thing, in fact a watch is actually a much greater risk so if you wear a watch then you are in..
As far as the ring goes I think your biggest issue is the ball and chain ;)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
watch and ring here while I was printing, never even considered taking them off. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
After I had a near degloving incident at the wood shop with my band I stopped wearing it. Mrs didn't like it but safety first!

ohh and sorry for your loss  ;D

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
My ring came off in the mid '70's, mostly for working on bikes, and never really went back on. Watch comes off and on throughout the day depending on just what I am doing.
Oh, and my wife has never held it against me, she just accepts that it is part of the package. She, on the other hand, proudly wears hers, and just about two months ago lost it while visiting a friend, had it replaced, and it then turned up in the horse stable in which it was lost!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
I wear my ring still, but it has gotten hung up once or twice in ways that scared me a bit.  I've definitely thought about taking it off during the day, but I think I would lose it pretty quickly...

Offline XG Print

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:21:47 AM »
Qalo wedding ring will solve any safety issues you may have and it is only $19.99......Silicone and comfortable...No need to worry about losing the real one.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
Haven't worn my ring in years and years. Wife doesn't mind. You'd understand her attitude if you knew me. I really was worried about losing my finger when we went auto many years ago.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
I took my one off because I put on weight. After 10 years I decided to lose the weight and put the ring back on.
Then after watching Jimmy Fallon, I don't wear it anymore.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Watch-Jimmy-Fallon-Explain-His-Disgusting-Finger-Injury-73012.html

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
I took my one off because I put on weight. After 10 years I decided to lose the weight and put the ring back on.
Then after watching Jimmy Fallon, I don't wear it anymore.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Watch-Jimmy-Fallon-Explain-His-Disgusting-Finger-Injury-73012.html

Never had an accident like that, but did almost get my crucifix caught in a machine once, it stays inside now. Me, I love having my ring, and very rarely remove it, safety is a good reason.

Syeve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 01:08:10 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, seems like a 50/50ish split on the topic which probably means I should keep it until I have a reasonable excuse. I do wear a watch without any concern, but the ring feels pretty weird. I'll keep it on since I'm told I'll get used to it but right now it even throws off my keyboard shortcuts agility.

There could be some metaphor in here about taming the male, but I haven't figured it out yet.