Author Topic: Safety Gear? Gloves, Apron, etc.  (Read 3120 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Safety Gear? Gloves, Apron, etc.
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »
I think I posted about this a few months ago, but honestly cant remember and can't find the post if I did...

I am a one man shop and have been just using random safety gear from lowe's when reclaiming.  Basically short gloves and a plastic apron.  Nothing specialized, solvent resistant, comfortable, etc.  About to get a helper for screens and want to get the right gear for them.  Was looking at the following:

https://www.zoro.com/ansell-gloves-natural-rubber-latex-9-12-pr-me104/i/G5402232/
https://www.zoro.com/lakeland-chemical-resistant-apron-yellow-pk10-pblc650/i/G4223852/

I guess I'm mainly just looking for some guidance when it comes to this stuff when hiring on help...Thanks!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Safety Gear? Gloves, Apron, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
Good start...you will also need eye protection as well as a respirator.  In reclaim your chemicals become atomized and are airborn, not to mention splash back.  I am sure I am missing something else.

We don't use an apron.  Usually an old oversized shirt or sweatshirt.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »
Cool.  full on respirator needed or just the little masks you see landscapers and painters using?

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »
Good start...you will also need eye protection as well as a respirator.  In reclaim your chemicals become atomized and are airborn, not to mention splash back.  I am sure I am missing something else.

Im going to die an early death! Ive been reclaiming since I was 12 and Ive never worn a respirator. Used to wear one a long time ago when the dehazer was pretty nasty, but never did for reclaiming. Maybe I should start though!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
i personally think for reclaiming a dust mask is fine.  I don't wear one, but i make the guys wear a legit paint-booth style mask(whatever that is called)

it's really bad on dehazing...that stuff isn't bad until you get 10-15 screens in and it gets hard to breath.  Some guys have preferred the fully enclosed face mask style so they don't need separate goggles.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
get the MSDS forms for all of the chemicals you use and follow their instructions pertaining to PPE.

Ive spent years in screens and choose not to use harsh chemicals that require me to wear a respirator, been there no thanks. if you have to wear it 6 or more hours a day, you have to get the good ones for comfort (cheap masks dont fit right and can cause extended wear pain) a good mask will run you 2 to 400 for a good serviceable and new filters every week, gets very expensive maintenance wise.

choose a chemical that uses a dust mask and glasses to avoid splatter to the face. some stain removers and haze chemicals can leave a dry harsh tastes in your throat, you need an organic fter for those products, paint mask with the right filters.

gloves. i like to use a stretcy type work glove inside for moisture and the big  yellow ones from uline, janitorial gloves. they wont last forever but long cuff keeps the water out for the most part. Your hands will get wrinkly inside gloves.. its just the way it goes, have lotion around as your hands will dry out.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »

Im going to die an early death! Ive been reclaiming since I was 12 and Ive never worn a respirator. Used to wear one a long time ago when the dehazer was pretty nasty, but never did for reclaiming. Maybe I should start though!

Almost the same here, never used any safety equipment, and we used lacquer thinner as a haze remover in the early days, whoooooeeeee!!!!!! So, don't be crazy, to be safe, goggles, respirator and gloves at the least. Good ventilation is also a must, like an exhaust hood...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
Just a heads up. My understanding is that Material Safety Data sheets are now obsolete, and not you need to have Safety Data Sheets. Pretty much the same, but using more key words and symbols. Maybe this should be another thread, but things are changing. We had an OSHA official in recently and this is one thing we learned.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
Yes, MSDS is a dead term...not much changed and they are now SDS sheets.  I honestly thing many of the smaller companies won't change them much at all....and everybody is still going to call them MSDS.

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
   According to their site there is a list of 15 criteria and still need to keep them accessible to employees....Apparently they just changed the name, from MSDS to SDS. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:09:44 PM by SoccerMom »

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
Go with what John said and look up what your local laws are about PPE. It does not matter much what all of us say that are around the country. It matters what is going to happen when Workmans Comp from your local municipality walks through that door and whips out the book of fines. What is considered a safe and legal practice in my shop could cost you thousands in fines in yours.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
a respirator (not a dust mask) will require the employee to be fit tested and capable to wear the respirator.  the resistance caused by the filters can make it difficult for some persons to breathe.  the resistance will make it difficult for the person to get enough oxygen.  try to eliminate the use of harsh chemicals that require the use of a respirator.  most have found that with repeated use caustic dehazers arent good for the mesh and will cause more haze.

we use nitrile gloves - Ansell #37-185.  i found that they hold up well to solvents and reclaim chemicals.  i try to get the guys to wash them off end the end of their shift to rinse off the chemicals.  it kinda makes them last longer, but all gloves will deteriorate over time with exposure to chemicals.  i would rather them change out gloves before they break.

we also use face shields instead of glasses.  covers the whole face - breathe easier and keeps splash back off your entire face. wont fog up like goggles. 

we use regular chemical resistant aprons - whatever is on sale.

i require the reclaim department to use earplugs or earmuffs - spraying screens for 8hrs gets loud.  i explain to the guys - if you want to listen to music when you are 50, wear this (earplugs / earmuffs). 

i found that most MSDS and safety data sheets will say to use PPE that is appropriate for use with the chemical.  you should be able to find a manufacturers chart that will indicate whether or not a glove/apron composition is appropriate with a chemical.  if in doubt, call a PPE manufacturers help line.  they want your business and want you to buy their stuff. ive got free earplugs and gloves before. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
This is all awesome info and much appreciated.  I am guilty like a lot of people of pretty much half assing this stuff when it concerns me and me alone, but definitely wanted to be sure to get setup correctly for an employee situation.  Thanks!