Author Topic: Shirt folders. How fast and are they worth it.  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Shirt folders. How fast and are they worth it.
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:16:07 AM »
Ok I am working on a possible project that will be monthly. It is over 3000 shirts this next month and will grow fast. It started at 160 shirts 6 months ago. We don't fold the shirts now. We can pick up the folding, boxing and mailing. I would say yes to this if it wasn't the folding of the shirts. I don't want to manually fold these because soon there will be 5000 shirts to fold and I can't deal with complaining people. If I can work out a good system I could be doing 3 to 5 orders like this every month.

How fast is a folding machine?  250 hr  500hr 1000hr

Can you set up custom sizes they fold too?

Are they reliable?

Do they sometimes eat shirts?

How much is a normal charge for folding.

What should I know?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Shirt folders. How fast and are they worth it.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 06:20:05 AM »
Depending on the shirt an automated machine can fold and bag and label at 750+ per hour with no issues.  We are looking at one.  I currently am using a shrink wrap machine to do this and can only do around 100 an hour.  I'll post a video of what I am using the next time we use it.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 06:44:50 AM »
Depending on the shirt an automated machine can fold and bag and label at 750+ per hour with no issues.  We are looking at one.  I currently am using a shrink wrap machine to do this and can only do around 100 an hour.  I'll post a video of what I am using the next time we use it.

750 would be great. I can fold, bag, label over 120 an hour but don't want to do that for more then a few hours. For orders over 500 I need a machine. Plus if I have to hire help they will be more like 60 or 80 an hour and its not going to work that way. If I can run at 500 an hour then we can print, send down the dryer and right on the folder. It would be a smooth setup.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:52:02 AM »
That is completely doable.  The beauty is that it is a one person job to do.  Put a box at the end and off you go.  Know that for all the options a folder can cost between $30K and $45K
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
Ok I am working on a possible project that will be monthly. It is over 3000 shirts this next month and will grow fast. It started at 160 shirts 6 months ago. We don't fold the shirts now. We can pick up the folding, boxing and mailing. I would say yes to this if it wasn't the folding of the shirts. I don't want to manually fold these because soon there will be 5000 shirts to fold and I can't deal with complaining people. If I can work out a good system I could be doing 3 to 5 orders like this every month.

Are they reliable?

What should I know?
The Amscomatic folder will do in excess of 1,600 per hr and customers tend to run them between 800-1,000 per hr. They do not eat shirts and the fold is easily adjustable. New the folders run around $25,000 pretty much loaded. Used ones can be found at around half price. This is for Amscomatic. I cannot speak for other brands
Rich Hoffman

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:06:42 AM »
n we can print, send down the dryer and right on the folder. It would be a smooth setup.

Smooth it is and something many should consider as the market shift to finishing has moved the bottle neck behind the dryer for many of us.

Something else to consider is those who do have/get a folder, conveyer, labeler and whatnot, market out your finishing abilities to other printers and then you can afford to have someone run it all day.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »

Are they reliable?

What should I know?
The Amscomatic folder will do in excess of 1,600 per hr and customers tend to run them between 800-1,000 per hr. They do not eat shirts and the fold is easily adjustable. New the folders run around $25,000 pretty much loaded. Used ones can be found at around half price. This is for Amscomatic. I cannot speak for other brands
Rich. can you expand on "pretty much loaded"  We are looking at one That is much more money.  I have been told that the add ons are for folding sweats, hoodies, etc.  We need one to pretty much fold anything. Bag and tag as well.  What ballpark are you on something like this?
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »

Are they reliable?

What should I know?
Rich. can you expand on "pretty much loaded"  We are looking at one That is much more money.  I have been told that the add ons are for folding sweats, hoodies, etc.  We need one to pretty much fold anything. Bag and tag as well.  What ballpark are you on something like this?
The folder is one machine. The long sleeve attachment ,bagger,tagger, labeler for bag, or auto bagger are all different machines. Tim Foreman would be able to help you with pricing of the other items. The only option on the bagger is fold plates for specialty folding and different types of switches to activate. Neither of those two are very expensive.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 02:33:06 PM »
Great info. Not sure I can bring in a new one at that price for this job yet. I am really just doing the leg work on this project right now. If it can run 1000 an hour its well worth it and will pay off in a few months. Now I need to think about the next steps.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:46 AM »
We have a Nedco EZ Fold and a bagger and the better finish operators can run it at least as fast as an auto press, so 700/hr or more. It's the same difference as a manual press vs an auto press in my opinion. With finishing every time you have to touch that shirt, it's like printing it again. Automation is a must on the back end if you have it on the front end, especially since finishing is often priced with thinner returns than the printing.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Jonny O

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
Our folder/bagger has paid for itself within a year.  We process 500pc orders within an hour usually (thats with two chatty ladies).  We have an older Amscomatic K-795 with the Omni-Bagger, they work just fine.
Superluxe Screenprinting -Production Manager
https://www.instagram.com/superluxescreenprinting/