Author Topic: Education Series is starting!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Education Series is starting!
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:03:05 PM »
we are gonna give this a try.

Several industry experts have agreed to start some educational post. They will be similar in format to the White ink posts I did few years back (progressively advancing the topic).

Joe Clarke will start with Plastisol and Richard Greaves offered to tackle Mesh. The posts will start with the absolute basics (something an outsider would understand) and slowly move up to very advanced (if there is interest in it). So the first question might be "What is mesh?" and will work through various topics related to mesh (selection, color, tension, elongation, flow and so on) as the previous post is answered. Feel free to answer at any level and please do not be shy answering the very basic stuff. We need those answers to build the proper foundation for later discussions.

Also, to make things easier and not make us look like a bunch of idiots, please be respectful and stay on topic! The goal is to dive in very deep into the subjects and will thus have to go in order, from the simplest to the most complicated. Feel free to suggest topics, but they (Joe and Richard) might want to do this in their order. I don't know yet where this is going or how it'll work, we'll make adjustments on the fly. Please be respectful to the ppl taking the time out of their day to do something for us. There are few other high level ppl willing to help, but I am going to hold off getting them going until we work out the kinks and see that there is enough interest.

We are hoping that a lot of this information here eventually ends up in the Garment Decorating Encyclopedia we are working on right now.

play nice!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Education Series is starting!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
we are open to suggestions!
Please let us know what we can do to make this better. Also, any suggestions on topics to tackle next are welcome.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
this is awesome. even though i've been printing for about 10 years, i'd still love to know and understand alot of the basics that i may have missed out on learning the first time around.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »
Well, the next obvious topic would be emulsion and light sources.

I think this is awesome.  There is a ton of really really bad info out there and it would be nice to have industry experts set the record straight.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
topics:

creating the perfect underbase....
choosing the correct mesh / line count...
Proper curing "tests" - is the stretch test accurate?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
This is great!

Joe and Richard are two people I just love hearing talking about screen printing and know I can take their word as gospel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:01:27 PM »
topics:

creating the perfect underbase....
choosing the correct mesh / line count...
Proper curing "tests" - is the stretch test accurate?

I think most of these will be part of a bigger topic like plastisol (white ink printing and thus underbase), mesh would cover the selection of the count and lpi and so on. . . Make sure we cover these in their respective topics.

stretch test is not accurate! So we could do something on why it is not the way to go and what does it really tell as part of curing.

pierre

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
How about troubleshooting?  I would be happy to talk on that subject.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »
sonny=trouble. so troubleshooting would mean...  ;D

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »
I guess I would like to see them just dispense the knowledge as they see fit, knowing it would be all good stuff. Much of their info I've read over the years and was always inspired by it, not to mention having my eyes opened...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
I'd love to see some stuff on efficiency and best industry practice/benchmarks.

ie.  "Industry standard" is 5 minutes per color setup from empty press to ready to print.  (how do you get there... (trilock, etc)).

How long should it take on average to clean a screen from de-ink/de-tape to degrease...

etc.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
I think if you just say to either of them, "I have a quick question for you", you'd be in for a few hour conversation   ;D
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Topic -

Hiring, Firing, Incentives, Bonuses, Tracking productivity, etc........ Dealing with growing pains, when you need full time hr, etc

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
Topic -

Hiring, Firing, Incentives, Bonuses, Tracking productivity, etc........ Dealing with growing pains, when you need full time hr, etc

yes
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 12:50:50 PM »
Very cool...waiting to soak this all in!
Tees and Coffee