Author Topic: Direct to Screen Workflow  (Read 3200 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Direct to Screen Workflow
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
We've been doing it that way since day 1.. actually was suggested to us by Javier who installed it.

Interesting, interesting...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Lizard

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:53 AM »
We use a diskstation NAS which is a sweet little machine. Every file in the building is on there. It has a proprietary raid that runs on five drives. Three can fail and it will still work. You can add any size drive to it as long as it is same size or bigger. And they are very affordable. Everything backs up nightly to Amazon. Costs like $3 a month for backup.

A little off topic but worth sharing.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
Pretty much everything I've instituted as protocol has already been described here...and it took a few years to evolve to this point. We do very little custom printing, lots of printing for our catalog and tons of printing for events, so we have three slight variables.

Custom jobs just have the file naming convention of "Customer Name - Job Name - Print Location.psd"  So, we've got "Willies General Store - Frog Face - FP.psd", which then gets ripped to a permanent set of "digital films."  As long as the artwork isn't changed and gets approved the first time that will be our reference copy forever.  For event work we throw the event name in front instead of the customer name.  For in-house catalog work we go with "SKU - Job Name - Print Location."  All of this is saved to the corporate network which is to a double-redundant RAID 5 hot-swappable NAS, also backed up to the cloud and to rolling tape backups...and I also keep a local copy of the RIPs folder on the RIP machine, just in case the server goes down we can still RIP new art and print old art.  It's happened.

This way, especially for in-house work, on the CTS since it defaults to the last folder we just go to file>open and type in the SKU and pick which print and go from there.

As has already been mentioned, if the art gets changed at all the RIPs get destroyed upon confirmation of new art.

We used to just RIP every single time right to a hot folder the CTS monitors, so we'd have no RIPs anywhere.  This proved to not be ideal.  The cost of archiving the data was far outweighed by being at the mercy of the servers and entire network, which dwarfs my department's network in complexity and unreliability.  Gigabytes are dirt cheap nowadays...not to mention having a hard reference version of a graphic/rip that is time and date stamped is a fantastic way to monitor for accountability. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:54:51 AM by Screen Dan »

Offline Admiral

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:52 AM »
I'd need to beef up the HD on the CTS computer, which is probably a good idea anyway!

personally, I'd install a small server preferably either raid 1 with a hot spare (3 drives) or raid 5 with a hot spare (5 drives)...

Kevin or I could suggest something if you're interested

Have the I-Image connect to that share drive to load images/etc, and keep your art archives there as well.

I wanted to do that, well sort of, we have everything backed up and whatnot to a NAS here(about as technically advanced as I felt comfortable doing myself). Everyone just saves everything to the NAS(which is double backed up) but I could of sworn I read somewhere in the I-image literature you were not supposed to access files off a outside drive.

Using a mapped network drive works fine, that's how we set it up, it is on the server so it is already backed up with a ton of redundancy and has a lot more space.

We do also go through and delete the .eps files if they are not in the repeat clients folder(about 3 months after the fact) to increase drive space on the network.  They can be easily recreated from the artwork still in the folders.