Author Topic: fabric of shirt "bleeding" through print  (Read 1895 times)

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
fabric of shirt "bleeding" through print
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:09 PM »
hey guys, so I have been having this problem for a while now, but i guess it finally got to me. So, basically when I do a print flash print I would realize that the print would look kinda coarse. When I would get closer to examine it I would notice that it seems like its actually the fabric of the shirt peering through the ink. I just ran a job that was fluorescent pink on black shirts, I don't use a underbase white. So I hit it two time (print-flash print) but I can clearly still see the fabric of the shirt OVER the ink, not only that but it seems to be bumpy as I mentioned (like the actual fabric of the shirt). So, I hit it again, print was smoother but still the fabric seemed like it was sitting on top of the ink actually. I can never get it to be pure smooth pink without any bits of the shirt not showing through it. I ran another job the same day (white ink/blue shirts) and the same thing, I can get the ink smooth after a print-flash-print-flash-print, but still it seemed like the fabric was still popping out through the ink a bit. Now I'm sure with the pink/black job i could have hit it maybe 4-5 times to really make it smooth but I didn't want that for myself or the customer (imagine the hard hand). So please guys if you have any suggestions please share, I would love to hear it!

i have attached a video in hopes you guys can understand what I am saying. The very beginning of the video shows it well then again at :16.

Offline Underbase37

Re: fabric of shirt "bleeding" through print
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:19 AM »
Not sure the video is working.

What you are seeing is most likely the fibers.

Manual printing or auto?

What mesh?

What's the blend of shirt.

What's your squeegee duro?

First thoughts.....

Use a white with better fiber matte down.

Fluorescent colors are really made for white backgrounds and are by nature very transparent. So a white base is best with Flo colors....some use two.

Murphy

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
I'm actually surprised you got the pink to look that good without an under base. Fluorescent colors will always need an under base on dark colors. You may be able to heat press those to make them acceptable. Other observations may be too much pressure and you are driving the ink down into the shirt. Lighten up your to try and lay the ink closer to the top of the fabric. This will be dependent on what type/mesh screens you are using and the amount of emulsion etc etc...

Offline AAMike

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
Remember that the print will mimic the texture of your fabric unless you use print techniques to change that scenario. I would underbase the pink with a white that has more body and ease up on the pressure.

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
from some of your other pics your screens look really coarse , are they 84 mesh?, looks like on your first hit the ink is pretty thick/stiff and you didn't use enough pressure. If you don't get the first hit down nice and smooth it doesn't matter how many more print/ flashes you do it will be still rough.

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I did this job with a 110.
I'm using a manual M&R.
100% cotton Gildan
I don't really know how I have avoided using a white underbase for so long haha.
I do make sure to have the screens squeegeed clean before i send it off to flash.

Is there a rule of thumb to what size the underbase artwork should be? Is it really exactly the same artwork? Because that might be unrealistic for me to have perfect registration to do that  :-\

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I did this job with a 110.
I'm using a manual M&R.
100% cotton Gildan
I don't really know how I have avoided using a white underbase for so long haha.
I do make sure to have the screens squeegeed clean before i send it off to flash, I don't think thats the problem, I probably shouldn't have described it as necessarily being bumpy in my description.

Is there a rule of thumb to what size the underbase artwork should be? Is it really exactly the same artwork? Because that might be unrealistic for me to have perfect registration to do that  :-\

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
a 1 point outline that straddles will give you a .5 choke that should be holdable for you.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline nismoasfuh

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »
a 1 point outline that straddles will give you a .5 choke that should be holdable for you.

great! thanks!