Author Topic: What`s my best option to separate this?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What`s my best option to separate this?
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
This will go on white tees. Now to be honest we never have tried ourselves on crayon drawings, so what would be our best option? 4 color process? And if so is anyone using a white underbase for 4 color process even on white shirts as suggested in Ultra Seps? We@ve done plenty of 4 color in the past, not so much though in the last 3-4 years but never used a white underbase on white garments.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: What`s my best option to separate this?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
How closely do you need to replicate it?

CMYK could work, I would not use a white underlay myself.  But if you have lousy open weave garments, I can see the need for an ink to make the garment smoother and tighter, like a really based back white or a clear.

You can also index it.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »
How closely do you need to replicate it?

CMYK could work, I would not use a white underlay myself.  But if you have lousy open weave garments, I can see the need for an ink to make the garment smoother and tighter, like a really based back white or a clear.

You can also index it.
I would also agree. Don't use a white underbase if you can avoid it. 4CP and call it a day. Just my $.02

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
If it's a large order, I'd avoid CMYK, and go with SIM PROCESS.  It's just more controllable.

1 Pink
2 Red
3 Blue
4 Gray
5 Brown
6 Black

If it's a low quantity, then yes, CMYK (but be careful on the black). Cut that black screen back on the tonality to compensate for gain a good bit to represent the gray well...and use high LPI like 55-60...The typical response when having any black areas is to put it down heavy (especially on white tees). Many go to using two blacks, A solid and a halftone. If this were the case, then I'd do CMYK, but would then use a gray ink, cut it back on the black screen and let it ride on the black screen heavy.

You're black areas even in the darkest areas (isn't really that deep of a black). More like a very dark gray.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »
It`s not a big order, 115 pcs for the US army base in Yokota. My main worry are the little flower petals around the text. They are so small and pale I fear there won`t be much ink going down in those areas.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
Nah,  at 55-60 ppi, they should come out jsut fine if the whole print is a full size adult size like 12.5" wide or more.
If smaller for kids and it's like 10" wide, it might get a little iffy, but still should be doable easy enough.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »
CMYK with spot red

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
If they expect those colors which look to be colored pencil to look like that then I would agree with Dan, now if that is just a ref I would redraw to get a nice black outline and color if myself  and go spot color....cmyk will work to if your not trying to hit the color on the nose.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
I'd go sim process.  I've had good luck on crayon drawings that way.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »
  I would scan and index. Use a gray for the pencil. Done.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »
Sim process for me, Black, Orange, Red, Blue for the minimum, would push for gray too. We can make the browns and flesh from the black and orange, deeper brown with a little red added in maybe...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't