Author Topic: Multi coating  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Multi coating
« on: March 16, 2016, 02:22:47 AM »
I came across a printer that actually practices the multi layer coating methods.

He had a stack of screens in a rack numbered 2,3,4,5.  I asked about #5.  "do you actually coat  3:2 or 4:1. He said oh no, that's for each side. 5:5.

305's were 1:1 round but everything else had multiple coats and face coats.
So I asked, do you PFP a white base? " oh no, never need to.

That bottom pick is a called a fat film. 600 micron on 30 mesh.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
Re: Multi coating
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:03 AM »
    I am a bit taken aback here, Just what is it I am looking at?.... First wouldn't 5/5 require a blast of light fringing on atomic mushroom cloud to get exposure? And that film on 30 seems like a sewer drain. What would be the purpose?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:17:50 AM »
Used mostly for high density/gel prints. Pretty much came and went but I come across it once in a while.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »
Minor side track on this topic: does face coating help correct a dodgy or uneven first coat or just make it worse?

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
So as far as ink usage goes, is it shirts per gallon or gallons per shirt?  :P

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
The 600 micron on the 30 mesh almost looks like a tarp with holes in it.  That sure is a thick stencil.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »
    I am a bit taken aback here, Just what is it I am looking at?.... First wouldn't 5/5 require a blast of light fringing on atomic mushroom cloud to get exposure? And that film on 30 seems like a sewer drain. What would be the purpose?

SoccerMom,
I'm sure it does add more exposure time, but this customer is using an STE2 (LED panel on the back) and exposing a 3:3 coat on a 150 mesh using Pure Photo Poly at 60 seconds. He was getting a full exposure on both sides washing out with a high pressure wand. I myself, thought the screens were a little over exposed.  (He's got exp times for each coat) on each mesh. The exposure times is not (as long) or as extra as you might think.

Integrity, In his case, they have long production runs and generally would rather put down more ink  the firs time than to double stroke or Print Flash Print Flash again. More ink saved production.

Wildcard, Yes, A face coat does just that. After you've coated 1:1, let it dry, then come back to fill in the voids or vallies of the mesh threads. As emulsion dries, it sort of vacuum forms to the threads. This kind of tells you that you have too little emulsion on the screen. (Most shops have too little from what I see). If coated too thin, you get that waffle texture and uneven or less than smooth edges on angles sides of letters like the Letter A. This helps create that glass like surface and builds the emulsion up off of the threads that cause the interference. Think of how smooth CAP films looks and prints. You get great image quality from cap film.

The best thickness is not measured by the number of coast, but how thin you apply each coat. Someone can coat a 150 mesh 1:1 round edge on the coater and get enough....because they coat very slow and even. Others who coat fast may need 3 coats to get the same thickness.

I've heard/read people say that the one hit white is a myth, A unicorn.  I've seen some unicorns. You just have to apply what the emulsion and mesh people actually suggest.

Tony,  I'm sure your shop has smooth surface screens. Do you face coat?

Stitches, There are even thicker. 800 and higher I believe. Depends on what you're trying to do.
Remember the guy that enters the special affect category from Istanbul Turkey and another from Egypt at the ISS shows?  They are using that fat film and CAP film. They print very slow production for that stuff and often just for show! They print, flash, print, then the 2nd layer art is adjusted to accommodate the stack (cutting the art in thinner). This is what you do when printing a puff down first, then sim process art over top of the puff. The sim process art has to overlap and accommodate for the expansion of the puff and not peak out on the sides.

For me, some of the screens this customer had coated heavy may be a little too much...unless I would be doing special affect inks. The middle image has Metallic gold shimmer in it that was not cleaned out yet.

One of our guys (our members here) posted a puff print last week. It was puffed, but not stacked high puff. I asked how many coats. He said (one). Not one and one, but just one. Now, you can achieve that because as long as you coat slow, you can push it through to the other side to get that glistening affect and it be thick enough. I wouldn't run 5000 shirts on it, but you can do pretty well. In his case, he was just testing. Now, had he coated multiple coats, like that, he could get a puff that can reach a full 1/16" off the shirt. It would blow out and become rocky in texture, but it's really high and works for different effects.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:50 AM »
I forgot to mention, the art that these images show, were indexed at a semi low resolution and textured/distress edged art. Meaning, it had rough edges to begin with so it's not (as clean and crisp) on the edges as you might normally get form such a thick stencil. The one that looks like a#8 or & in it, would have looked very hard and sharp had it been clean vector art.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
2 over 2 stretch and  glue...........one hit white with Rutland DC White Plus

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Good post Dan-O, I've play around with doing thick film's and even coating extra thick screens and the problem which I faced was getting a nice one hit white my top colors suffered from me printing with to much pressure causing misprints, but still I think you need a little bit of a gasket on the shirt side of the screen to get a nice ink coverage which I'm sure this guy gets, again good post and read.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
2 over 2 stretch and  glue...........one hit white with Rutland DC White Plus

You coat wb/dc screens 2/2?  sharp edge I presume?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
yes all screens coated the same way

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »
I've got some 15s and 17s that I've gone over 1000µ on.  Exposure times range from 400 to 600 seconds on a 5k MH bulb.  Developing them is a soggy affair for all involved.  We usually get them started with the big 3000psi/4gpm pressure washer we destencil with.

Luckily that HD fad came and went and this doesn't come up very often any more.  We do 400µ on 24 mesh for glitter studs often though.  We use Aquasol HS now instead of fat films.  Starting with a 2:2 base coat and then build it up after that dries.

I love this stuff.  Great pics.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
Let me ask a question here on coating screen's,  I've always coated  2 over 1 which I coat the print side twice and then the squeegee side once, now would it be different and make more sense to coat the print side once and the squeegee side twice which would push the emulsion back to the print side and make a thicker stencil or does it matter.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
I think the end result would be roughly the same.  In our testing we found no appreciable difference in EOM regardless of which side you coat more.  That final coat on the squeegee side just pushes it all back through the mesh to the print side.