Author Topic: Tension meter?  (Read 14118 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Tension meter?
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
Would it be beneficial to have a tension meter if you only run static screens?
I have a chance to buy Newman TM for a reasonable amount.

Thanks

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Tension meter?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
At the least, you would be able to set a standard where you decide not to use a screen any more. When it reaches "X" Newtons. it's time  to retire it. Do you see retensionables in your  future? If it was a good deal. I'd buy it.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »
Buy it. I think you'll be amazed how low tensions are in statics.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
Then you will know by your prints that screen tension alone is but one of many parameters for a good print.  If you are able to print high detail with your statics then maybe you can spend your money on other things in your shop instead of the almighty reten.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
I tried retens, I didn't have great luck with them.  I think our press is a little too far out of tune for them.  I even replaced all the platens and leveled everything, but I have some funky things goind on with registration and off contact right now.  I might revisit them later.  But I get better prints off well tensioned statics.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
Then you will know by your prints that screen tension alone is but one of many parameters for a good print.  If you are able to print high detail with your statics then maybe you can spend your money on other things in your shop instead of the almighty reten.

No crap.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
I tried retens, I didn't have great luck with them.  I think our press is a little too far out of tune for them.  I even replaced all the platens and leveled everything, but I have some funky things goind on with registration and off contact right now.  I might revisit them later.  But I get better prints off well tensioned statics.

What press is it?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
1999 Gauntlet

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 04:08:06 PM »
In most cases a tension meter is a want more than a need...example I wanted one and bought one, used every now and then and I use statics, retens, panel frames just a mix of frames.  I really don't think you need a tension meter to know when a mesh is headed to dump just a touch of the old finger and you got your answer.   Now if your looking to have all your screens be the same in tension on every job you do yes.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »
1999 Gauntlet

Check the rod ends on your micros. If those are sloppy then they will move around on you. You may have to replace them if there is a lot of slop.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
They seem tight if you are talking about the ball joint itself.  Is there a way to make sure they are good and tight other than taking pressure off and wiggling them around?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
Buy it.  Then use it to cull out the lowest tensioned statics and start having a standard.  Once you start using your highest tensioned screens on a regular basis, especially for those tougher jobs, then you'll start to realize the benefits of high tension. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
Buy it.  Then use it to cull out the lowest tensioned statics and start having a standard.  Once you start using your highest tensioned screens on a regular basis, especially for those tougher jobs, then you'll start to realize the benefits of high tension.
Not to jump on your case Alan, and maybe this should be another post, but what tension is "high"?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
Not to jump on your case Alan, and maybe this should be another post, but what tension is "high"?

Thanks everybody on the comments.
I might be buying his tonight, very close to it.

Sonny, I believe Alan said highest and not high tension. Even if I have most screens in the low teens, I could benefit to know that my higher tension screens are @ 17-19 range and could benefit from using those instead of the ones that are 12-13.
17-19 Newtons is not high, but it is highest and the best that I have in that case

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
Yes buy it. It's an invaluable tool for pre-press operations.

I've seen many times the tension on a static isn't even enough to get the meter to read it.. 17-19 is pretty high.. most static's end up around the 10-14
range.

We put a meter on a BRAND NEW static at the Ft Worth show.. for a 110 it read 16n..

High tension is anything over 40n.

The optimum range for decent printing is in the 25n to 35n range.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services