Author Topic: Automated Sep software  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Automated Sep software
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:06 AM »
What is the best?  What do you use? Why?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Maff

• !!!
Re: Automated Sep software
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »
I use UltraSeps. It provides a great starting point with lots of options for most separations. I always have to adjust things before I'm finished, but that should be expected with any software. The more I use it, the quicker I get and better understanding of which direction to go in. 

Steve was also very quick to get back to me with questions and help the few times I needed it. He also has a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

All the sep programs come with free trials that give you full access to the program so you can really try them out.

There are lots of other threads in the past discussing them as well.

Offline AAMike

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Ultraseps. Steve is great and the price can't be beat.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Ditto on the UltraSeps; but, you need to know how to tweak the seps for the best results, even though out of the box is pretty darn good. You might get 17 colors from one routine, but it has 4 different whites, 3 blacks, 2 reds, and single blue, purple, aqua, etc... so you get to choose the ones you want for your needs. Yes, there will be some testing, but you're not a rookie. Now, I already knew how to do this before UltraSeps came out, but it's so much faster for stepping customers art. Our own creations, we build ourselves the old fashioned way.

Steve

and yes, Steve Roginski is very good at support...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
I started and still have Sep Studio but after using ultra seps, I find myself only using that one now.  Ultraseps has many more options to get the final result you want.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:59:28 AM by ShirtShackandMore »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:26:34 AM »
"Best" depends on your qualifications and quantifiable measurable factors related to what is determined to be "better" or "worse" in a given situation.

I use the separation plugin for photoshop that I created myself, and occasionally the one I developed for Corel, but my own photoshop version is officially open-source and free for any use so you can try it out.    When I get to making new videos I will show how to install and run some tests, separation modes, etc.   

There are many reasons why I created my own and why I use it, and why I don't use the other programs.... after deleting a few hundred words I just wrote, I will say that I simply won't get into the "Why" on this forum or in this thread, at this time, or in any manner that might be construed as me being offensive or heated or with anything other than love and respect for the industry and that everyone plays a part and shares what they do and we're all better for it, good or bad, the industry grows, end of story.    I'll share what I have to offer, I will talk and work with anyone, out of service and co-operation, I have no profit-motives and I'm not in a competition.     I work as a regular artist/separator/screenprinter at a local small shop, and a pizza delivery driver, and I don't earn any royalties or income from the corel project, or anything else as my products on my web page are all free now and open-source,  and so in my other time invested in screenprint research and developmment, or in other arenas like art and music or computers and programming, video or digital light-table experiments, I realize I'm just an experimental person who has a passion for tinkering and exploring and going down the path where something leads me once I've taken an interest in it and dig into it...  I'll just share what I do openly and move on.    There was never any reason for all the drama about color separation programs that has happened in various discussions in the past.   I'll do my best to not contribute anymore to anything but a positive spirit of evolving progress and growth for this art/print medium we seem to all have a great passion and love and appreciation for, no matter what form it takes, in forums like this.   Thanks for letting me share.

Direct link to free download of the full separation toolkit plugin I made for photoshop:  http://adobe.ly/1PhT5wI

Direct link to free color wheel test image:  http://adobe.ly/1hjMcNJ

"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »
Another vote for UltraSeps from me.

Steve WILL get back to you to answer your questions. And he is a forum member here with years of Screenprinting experience.

Having said that, I wish I were better with the plugin for basic spot color seps. I waste too much time with them, still doing them the way I learned years ago.

But it isn't a problem with UltraSeps, it is a problem originating from an area just above my ears. Stepping up my game with the plugin is on my ToDo list.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
Another vote for UltraSeps from me.

Steve WILL get back to you to answer your questions. And he is a forum member here with years of Screenprinting experience.

Having said that, I wish I were better with the plugin for basic spot color seps. I waste too much time with them, still doing them the way I learned years ago.

But it isn't a problem with UltraSeps, it is a problem originating from an area just above my ears. Stepping up my game with the plugin is on my ToDo list.

for simple spot colors I just select them with the magic wand tool (or color range, but I seem to have better luck with the wand) and save them as the separate channels. I've never actually tried the US routine.

Steve

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
Sonny:

What type of images are you wanting to separate?

Full bright colors? (nascar etc)
Pastels? (watercolors, etc)
Vector art? (all cmyk and blends n stuff)
Museum quality paintings?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline starchild

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
I'm a FullSpectrum user.. I appreciate that UltraSeps is satisfactory but I don't know what tool that is included in Photoshop that can replace information (tweak) that was taken out destructive, during the Sep process. The only tweaking I see possible is to remove more info or blur/sharpen the remaining info that was left after the original pull

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »

Direct link to free download of the full separation toolkit plugin I made for photoshop:  http://adobe.ly/1PhT5wI

Thank you for this, though I don't know where to start. I do have one of your old tuts on pulling colors manually in PS, greatly appreciated and used on a number of occasions. As for the past, bygones are bygones, and being civil is always the best practice, unless of course, under actual physical attack, lol. I like the Photoshop stuff, and I'm a Mac guy, and Corel as you know doesn't port to Mac, so I haven't looked into the offerings too deeply, and no thanks, I'm not going to run Windows in the background. Thanks again, I look forward to future posts...

Steve

Steve

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
Full Spectrum has been kicking but for us!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
FullSpectrum,

I personally thank you for the post. I'm with you. Im looking forward to seeing you around more often with your excellent information.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
"Best" depends on your qualifications and quantifiable measurable factors related to what is determined to be "better" or "worse" in a given situation.

I use the separation plugin for photoshop that I created myself, and occasionally the one I developed for Corel, but my own photoshop version is officially open-source and free for any use so you can try it out.    When I get to making new videos I will show how to install and run some tests, separation modes, etc.   

There are many reasons why I created my own and why I use it, and why I don't use the other programs.... after deleting a few hundred words I just wrote, I will say that I simply won't get into the "Why" on this forum or in this thread, at this time, or in any manner that might be construed as me being offensive or heated or with anything other than love and respect for the industry and that everyone plays a part and shares what they do and we're all better for it, good or bad, the industry grows, end of story.    I'll share what I have to offer, I will talk and work with anyone, out of service and co-operation, I have no profit-motives and I'm not in a competition.     I work as a regular artist/separator/screenprinter at a local small shop, and a pizza delivery driver, and I don't earn any royalties or income from the corel project, or anything else as my products on my web page are all free now and open-source,  and so in my other time invested in screenprint research and developmment, or in other arenas like art and music or computers and programming, video or digital light-table experiments, I realize I'm just an experimental person who has a passion for tinkering and exploring and going down the path where something leads me once I've taken an interest in it and dig into it...  I'll just share what I do openly and move on.    There was never any reason for all the drama about color separation programs that has happened in various discussions in the past.   I'll do my best to not contribute anymore to anything but a positive spirit of evolving progress and growth for this art/print medium we seem to all have a great passion and love and appreciation for, no matter what form it takes, in forums like this.   Thanks for letting me share.

Ok, Color me 6 shades of stupid, how do you install this?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline XG Print

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
We are a Corel based shop here and I love Simple Seps and all of the Advanced T plug ins.  Awesome stuff and great support.  I've been wanting to learn PS so I guess I too need to look into Ultra Seps or Full Spectrum.