Author Topic: Best Way to proof this to my customer  (Read 2533 times)

Offline That_Spidey_Dude

Best Way to proof this to my customer
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
My customer wants this printed in 2 colors, I told him I would try and get the background to be halftones of the brown and the green, I didn't know how to accurately simulate the halftones in the proof, or if there was an even better way for this to be done.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Best Way to proof this to my customer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »
Two separate questions here.

First, the only way we've found to somewhat accurately proof halftones is via the semi-chintzy plugins for Photoshop
or Illustrator. There really should be a better option for this.

Second, this should be printed as four colors. I personally hate large solid areas of halftones, especially when making a lighter
color of a solid. Letting the client tell you he wants it printed at two colors is like going to McD's and telling them you want it
to taste like a porterhouse. We all have wants.

If it was us, and the job/client was worth it or our mistake of even broaching the subject was bad enough, we'd just cut
the two extra screens and print it. Waaayyyyyy easier than trying to get that to look good as halftones.

Offline That_Spidey_Dude

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
Yeah, this is a contract customer, and I told him the best way to approach it was for the print to be 4 colors with a 2 color discharge shadow or a based down 2 color shadow, he didn't like the fact that he was going to have to pay for 4 screens and 4 color printing. I informed him the halftones won't do the job justice and he said he still wanted to see what it would look like, I think I may pull him in and talk to him about it and see how many shirts he is anticipating for this job and maybe we can work out some kind of deal to get him the best looking print.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »
I think I may pull him in and talk to him about it and see how many shirts he is anticipating for this job and maybe we can work out some kind of deal to get him the best looking print.

That's whats up.

The plugins I talked about might front him off the idea as well. They tend to put out ratty looking dots.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
You might be able to offer a better "halftone preview" within photoshop and saving it as a pdf.

Are you aware of how to do photoshop channel seps?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
Try this; in Photoshop, open 2 copies of the file (just the background that you want to halftone) ; in the first remove all brown, in the 2nd, remove all green. Now convert each file to grayscale, then convert that to Bitmap; in the Bitmap dialog box, change the output resolution to 1200 (nice smooth dots will come out) and save them. In Illustrator, place the first, and color it the proper brown, then place the second and color it the proper green, voila, a clean halftone image in color, put the full color Illy parts on top. Save as a .pdf and check it out...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »
Sbrem has a good suggestion.

You can also do the whole thing from photoshop if you wish.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
Sbrem has a good suggestion.

You can also do the whole thing from photoshop if you wish.

Yes, that too!

Steve

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
Try this; in Photoshop, open 2 copies of the file (just the background that you want to halftone) ; in the first remove all brown, in the 2nd, remove all green. Now convert each file to grayscale, then convert that to Bitmap; in the Bitmap dialog box, change the output resolution to 1200 (nice smooth dots will come out) and save them. In Illustrator, place the first, and color it the proper brown, then place the second and color it the proper green, voila, a clean halftone image in color, put the full color Illy parts on top. Save as a .pdf and check it out...

Steve

make sure to save as a tiff to change the color in illustrator.  it took me a long time to learn that.

Offline That_Spidey_Dude

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

Steve

I have watched the rising sun video on seps a few times and followed it when I have had to do some seps. I will try all of this though! Thank you

Offline Lizard

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
For Photoshop seps (works great for sim process proofs) we step into channels, make a background the color of the shirt, screenshot, paste into illy or Corel, crop, place on shirt comp, eye drop the background color then paint fill the comp.  Make PDFs.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »

Steve

make sure to save as a tiff to change the color in illustrator.  it took me a long time to learn that.

I knew I left something out... ???