Author Topic: It was a small fire.....  (Read 3348 times)

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
It was a small fire.....
« on: February 20, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »
It was a small fire and more time cleaning up than anything. Certainly an eye opener. I'll write more later about today and future plans.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: It was a small fire.....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
Uh oh
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
Hopefully more of a wake-up call than an extended bout of insomnia.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
???

Murphy

Online TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
This is one situation I can say I hope the "small" fire was on your pants... ;)

Seriously, hope all is well!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
Hmmm, no good sir. Hope it wasn't bad!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
also hope you were able to get it out without much use of dry fire extinguishers.. those things go EVERYWHERE.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:57 AM »
It was a small fire and more time cleaning up than anything. Certainly an eye opener. I'll write more later about today and future plans.

Need anything...you've got my phone number
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
also hope you were able to get it out without much use of dry fire extinguishers.. those things go EVERYWHERE.

Yes they do.......
I had a small fire couple years ago isolated to one pallet with tee shirt under the flash, shop filled with smoke. I dumped a quick shot from a 5 pounder dry chemical the cleanup went on forever. Since then I installed  two smoke alarms immediately above the flash unit suspended down from the ceiling on PVC pipe.
They hang just above the height of a passing screen and thankfully they will go off at the slightest puff of smoke.
$3,000.00 fire $28.00 fix.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
It was very small luckily. We were moving a dryer and auto, and one electrical line shorted. It was at the junction box on the ceiling. It immediately ignited the lint we've been collecting on the purlons (?) or support beams, whatever they are called. Looked like a fuse running across. I had a fire extinguisher within five feet of me, and it was out within thirty seconds. I big mess but very little damage.

So immediately I am kicking myself in the ass for letting it get as bad as it has. We've all heard the stories. I just kept saying, "Man I need to do something about that", but never did. Tomorrow I start making calls to find someone to come in immediately to clean all of my ceiling. It's not reasonable to think I could do it myself and do it effectively. It also brings to the front of my mind that although we have emergency plans, does EVERY employee, including the 12 temp workers we have know all of the details of the plan? I can answer that, but I won't.

Other things that need my attention have sprung up from this little brush with potential disaster, but some will get my full attention immediately.

Don't be a Dave. See a problem? Fix it before it's too late.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »
did that in our old shop, it actually cleaned up all the lint off the rafters and then went out.  Lucky for us.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »
dustbunnies will catch fire quick, had our clothes dryer in our home catch fire from lint build up, so hey everyone clean your lint tray in your home dryers after every dry cycle ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »
we had a similar issue.

you know how the instructions say "turn light fixture off before installing lamps"  - we missed that part.  we had the fluorescent fixture on and changed the bulbs.  there was a small spark and the lint caught - luckily it didnt spread.

we do lint cleanings every 6 months.  10' conduit with a 3/8 air hose inside.  nozzle on the other side and blow the lint off the ceiling.  we cover all the presses and the dryer belts to keep lint off.   it works well.

we also have a procedure to change light bulbs. 

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Scary.  We had a similar moment a couple years ago when a short in the manual flash plug ignited the lint on the floor.  It spread out so fast and left such a huge puff of smoke that I thought a magician was going to appear.  Luckily, it was just a big puff and then it was out.  We now thoroughly clean our shop weekly.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
"Man I need to do something about that", but never did. Tomorrow I start making calls to find someone to come in immediately to clean all of my ceiling.

shop vac and some thin wall PVC pipe with a minimum wage guy, should take 2 days depending on size.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services