Author Topic: Pallet glue everywhere  (Read 5290 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Pallet glue everywhere
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 09:44:18 AM »
get one of these, the tight cell foam roller works great and soon will skin over with the WB stuff.
one hint....... add some ordinary food coloring to the 50 / 50  or 60/40 or something to something water / bond mix so you can see better how you are covering the pallet.
mooseman

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45124-11591-97646_2z8vj__?productId=3033660&pl=1&Ntt=paint+roller

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=45143-64900-94064&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3695342&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

exactly how we do it!  works amazing!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:03 AM »
get elmo bath tabs from walmart.  you get a ton of them for $4.  dissolve them in water first and then add them.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
...I had a batch that smelled AWFUL for some reason. I got one of those scented plug-in refills (the kind that is like an oil in a little glass bottle), and poured one in there. Worked great, and the nice smell lasts a LOOOOOOONG time when the pallets get warm!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »
...I had a batch that smelled AWFUL for some reason. I got one of those scented plug-in refills (the kind that is like an oil in a little glass bottle), and poured one in there. Worked great, and the nice smell lasts a LOOOOOOONG time when the pallets get warm!

agreed! we had a batch that smelled like terrible cheese. stunk the whole shop up for a few months. i was too cheap to buy a new gallon.

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
Back when I was an operator I would always be meticulous about the cleaning, maintenance and most importantly the setting of my Textac spray gun.

You only need to use a small amount, and you want it coming out at a very conservative pace and be well atomized.  If after the first warmup round the pallets need a little more tack?  Spray lightly one more time.  Repeat as necessary.

Of course everyone else in the shop set their guns to "holy isht" mode and there is glue everywhere.  We cover our pallets of blanks and completed product with cardboard.

Once when my gun was broken I just slathered it on with a water moistened rag...warmup flashing took care of the rest.  I tried to convince others that this was a great way to go...and spritzing with water every couple hundred shirts reinvigorated it for another hundred or so before having to be reapplied.  Instead everyone just continued on blasting epic quantities of it far to often.

It. Is. Everywhere.

But for what these entry level guys are getting paid I can't actually expect them to care for much beyond the paycheck.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »
you guys should try vanilla.  I put it in latex paint to get rid of the smell while painting.  you don't need that much to make a difference.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »
Second page and don't even know if he is using spray... how about it j?

Offline jvieira

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:13 AM »

Sorry. Yes, we're using a Tekmar spray gun. We tried the roller and card approach earlier on but it took too long, it was just not efficient for production.

We are not diluting 50/50 with water, though.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »

Sorry. Yes, we're using a Tekmar spray gun. We tried the roller and card approach earlier on but it took too long, it was just not efficient for production.

We are not diluting 50/50 with water, though.

I don't believe that the lack of dilution is contributing to the mess. It's a matter of care, and as I said, you may need to take a little more time.
Since an application lasts for so many shirts, and it doesn't need to be applied that often, it's a small sacrifice to take a little longer. Perhaps use a simple mask on the boards to reduce overspray.
Also, are your guys constantly re-applying when the stickiness starts going away, or do they also "de-fuzz"?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
get one of these, the tight cell foam roller works great and soon will skin over with the WB stuff.
one hint....... add some ordinary food coloring to the 50 / 50  or 60/40 or something to something water / bond mix so you can see better how you are covering the pallet.
mooseman

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45124-11591-97646_2z8vj__?productId=3033660&pl=1&Ntt=paint+roller

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=45143-64900-94064&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3695342&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Do you clean the rollers after every application? At the end of the day?
You just dump the 50/50 glue into a little tray and go to town?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »
I never clean mine. I made a little vertical stand to put the handle in. The roller is suspended in the air while I'm not using it. I'm still on my first roller refill after several months of use.

Mr. Moosey converted me from foam brushes. (Insert Happy Moose call here....) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--PyKhohVcY

It's about an 8" piece of scrap PVC waterpipe glued to a small square of Sintra (also PVC--sheeting marketed for signmakers) but anything would work. If the roller were to sit in contact with something, it would make a flat spot.

Mine is pretty nasty looking, but it still is smooth enough to do a good job. I probably need to change it, but when new, they sorta act different. They kinda "squish" on the first few platens, then they relax. That seems to get better over time.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:58:14 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
We cut it with water, and put it in a ketchup bottle. Squirt a happy face(sad face if it is Monday) on the pallet and scrub it in with a $.50 scrub pad. Cycle the press with the flashes on and we are ready to go.

Saw something interesting at the Virus both this weekend, they had a cardboard "fence" if you will, 4" tall he picked up and held around the perimeter of the platten while spraying his adhesive. Not that I want to switch back to a spray, but was a pretty good idea.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
Must keep lid on when not in use, but this is how the roller stays all the time,  I change roller 1 or 2 times a year.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
"Must keep lid on when not in use, but this is how the roller stays all the time,  I change roller 1 or 2 times a year." dirkdiggler

Interesting approach!....

Do you roll right over your old fuzz?

From time to time I do several runs of fleece in a row, and I know I'm gonna change paper afterward. I always use Web Spray (Huck! Phooey!) (I hate to even say those words...) for hoodies because I can't really apply WB tack with my roller over fleecey fuzz. It doesn't work right for us. I use the cardboard mask just like Frog posts sometimes and it helps a lot.

I'm not a high production shop. I don't mind de-fuzzing once in a while with a spraybottle of Simple Green and a floor-type scrubby. But with hoodies, its about every other round with Waterbased Tac. So I spray the **** **** and just grin and bear it.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
spray tack here for hoodies and yes it F*$ks up your pallets, we try to do all the shite work on one press so we don't mess up pallets all around.  Yes I roll right on top of old fuzz, fuzz won't hurt  you, strings and garbage will, you must pick that off before rolling.