Author Topic: Any foodies out there?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Any foodies out there?
« on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
I made this reservation over 3 years ago! Finally got confirmation for monday coming up!

I was in the restaurant business for 18 years before printing.

He has soo many reservations he stopped taking them. Hes booked 10 years out!

http://www.damonbaehrel.com/reservations.php

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Any foodies out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
Very Nice!

I watched Netflix's Chef's Table recently and they had an episode featuring Dan Barber - Blue Hill at Stone Farms - and was in awe of what they were actually able to accomplish.  I saw it was the same area and had to double check if your post was about him.

Have a fantastic time!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
holy crap! never heard of the guy, but after reading it, "Can I come with you? I'll be your best friend for the next 5 years it would take to get my own reservation!"

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
All I can add, other than how much I love food, is when my wife and I went to europe for our honeymoon, one of my best men (culinary school guy), gave us $300 to eat lunch at Guy Savoy in Paris. Some sort of "lunch special" where it was only $125 per person. It was absolutely out of this world. Like a whole production of artistically made delicious food with crazy service. They had a waiter/server for EVERYTHING. Water, bread, pulling your chair back, bathroom etc. Everyone lines up and says goodbye to you as you leave. And Guy Savoy came out and personally asked how our food was. I guess he's famous lol we're just two hicks from 'Murrica.

https://www.guysavoy.com/en/

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
Big time foodie here.  I am envious!!!!

Offline DaveZ

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »
Not sure whether I'd call myself a "foodie", but my wife and I enjoy good food and wine.

Best restaurant meal we've ever had was at Alinea, in Chicago.  It's generally considered to be one of the top 10 restaurants in the world.:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140428/BLOGS09/140429782/alinea-back-in-top-10-of-worlds-best-restaurants

I can say without hesitation that no other restaurant meal we've had even bears mentioning in the same breath as what we had at Alinea.  It was also by MILES the most expensive meal we've ever had, but unlike most of the other "top" places we've been, I'd happily pay that amount again for another meal there...

Enjoy, and report back!
Dave Zimmer
M&R Printing Equipment, Inc.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »
Dave, is that where you're taking me next time I'm there?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline DaveZ

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
Dave, is that where you're taking me next time I'm there?

RH hasn't even been there as far as I'm aware, so NO....

Maybe you can convince him to take you, though...but don't tell him I put you onto it!  ;-)
Dave Zimmer

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »
Just looked up this guy and he is books for 10 years out because he runs everything in his restaurant.  1 year it takes for him to make some of his dishes....   Its safe to say that he does this all out of love which is a noble thing.  Have fun and I am curious how many tables his place sits.   

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
Thanks guys!
I would like to check out the restaurant in chicago!

Seats 16-20 ppl where i am going. but he does not always take that many. He kind of just decides. LOL

Alot of $$$.. The guy is making a mint. Im sure he s working hard for it.

I worked in some fine dining establishments  so i would totally appreciate this!

Offline DaveZ

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »
Reading about that restaurant, sounds like it will be a very cool experience, and sounds similar to what Alinea does, except that Alinea has probably 50-60 employees.

One more tidbit about Alinea:  We went with good friends, and the husband isn't the type of guy who would normally be into that level of dining - he's more a "meat and potatoes, stay-at-home-for-dinner" type of guy.  He agreed to go because his wife wanted to go.  Our meal was the 12-course (!!!) "Tasting" menu, not the 18+-course "Grand" menu, but we were still there more than 4 hours....  When the 2nd-to-last course was served, he looked down at his watch and exclaimed "Oh my gosh - have we been here for 4 HOURS?!?!?!?!"  Despite his preference for simple fare, the experience was so all-engrossing that even HE hadn't noticed how much time had passed.  It was a moment that perfectly summed up the evening - sheer amazement and enjoyment, from start to finish.

I for one will be interested in hearing all about "Damon Baehrel"...  Will you be doing wine pairings, too, or "just" the meal?
Dave Zimmer

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
Reading about that restaurant, sounds like it will be a very cool experience, and sounds similar to what Alinea does, except that Alinea has probably 50-60 employees.

One more tidbit about Alinea:  We went with good friends, and the husband isn't the type of guy who would normally be into that level of dining - he's more a "meat and potatoes, stay-at-home-for-dinner" type of guy.  He agreed to go because his wife wanted to go.  Our meal was the 12-course (!!!) "Tasting" menu, not the 18+-course "Grand" menu, but we were still there more than 4 hours....  When the 2nd-to-last course was served, he looked down at his watch and exclaimed "Oh my gosh - have we been here for 4 HOURS?!?!?!?!"  Despite his preference for simple fare, the experience was so all-engrossing that even HE hadn't noticed how much time had passed.  It was a moment that perfectly summed up the evening - sheer amazement and enjoyment, from start to finish.

I for one will be interested in hearing all about "Damon Baehrel"...  Will you be doing wine pairings, too, or "just" the meal?

Wine pairings of course!! LOL.. My wife and i love wine.

we left the pairing up to Damon.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
Break out your best t-shirt for that place...looks nice.  I'd go Affliction or Ed Hardy.