Author Topic: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.  (Read 15125 times)

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
Re: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
I will do my best to bring SGIA to the party as the balding, (chubby?) Aussie mentioned.

Kitson, I self labelled myself as "Old & Balding" but you had to go and pile it on with adding Chubby!  You're a hard man Greg!

Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing you in Long Beach.

Peter

I left chubby behind many years ago, therefore I permit myself to use it in defining 'friends.

Looking forward to our scheduled time together and meeting Danny Sweem in Long Beach.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
Greg, I can certainly appreciate your energy in driving membership to SGIA.

But by your logic the AD you reference did those kids a huge disservice because he did not set them against college and pro teams. Think of he potential success if a small high school team was winning against college giants.

Realistically guys like Alen802 are your perfect candidates, he studies, works very hard,( from what I see), to advance himself and strengthen the industry, very progressive and deeply involved in the industry. Additionally many of us here would love to rise to the level of Blue Moon, or Dot Tone Dan, others not so much, some are happy to pioneer and profit in our own way. 

Again I applaud your energy in the industry and certainly on here on TSB, your are highly respected by all standards here and to this industry , but you have to know in your heart of hearts SGIA is not for everyone who stains tee shirt.

One suggestion though, I belong to a very progressive and growing club where we offer, on  a one time basis, perspective members a one year trial entry at a very insignificant first year fee.
Most who take advantage stay some decide it is not for them, either way everyone wins.

Would love to join you in the skylounge but the rarefied air there.....well i said enough.
Respectfully
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline SGIA

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Hi There Everyone!

Sorry I am a little late to the party. As Greg mentioned, we are getting ourselves ready for some upcoming meetings Monday - Wednesday. To formally introduce myself, My name is Scott Carter and I am SGIA's Membership Development Associate.

Reading through this thread I see some excellent points, challenging (but good) questions, difference of opinions, and a SERIOUS PLAQUE DEBATE. First and foremost, our plaques are quality! Not some dinky piece of paper. Hopefully, at this point, you are starting to see that I do have a sense of humor.

Our website can be a little tricky, so a good jumping off point would be to make sure that everyone is going to the appropriate site. In other words, make sure you are going to SGIA's garment site @ www.sgia.org/garment. Now, check out the tagline on that puppy ("Mastering the Art of Garment Decoration"). Here, you can find all the tools you need to win.

Pricing. Ah, yes, ye old pricing question. We really put forth our best effort to give our members a high value, at the best bang for the buck. If your annual revenue is $249,999 or less, membership is $300. If you are international, it is $200. If that doesn't fit your budget, I strongly encourage you to look at our subscription/individual membership. You will receive the Journal along with limited access to the website resources for just $39.99 a quarter.

We will be taking some suggestions from the thread to our meetings this coming week. I will be floating around this forum to answer questions and join in on the conversations.

Thanks!
Scott

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »
Welcome Scott.

Maybe if you throw out a few teasers on here of the benefits one would get being a member, like articles that apply to the average member here, or some of the supplier discounts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
Hi There Everyone!

Sorry I am a little late to the party. As Greg mentioned, we are getting ourselves ready for some upcoming meetings Monday - Wednesday. To formally introduce myself, My name is Scott Carter and I am SGIA's Membership Development Associate.

Reading through this thread I see some excellent points, challenging (but good) questions, difference of opinions, and a SERIOUS PLAQUE DEBATE. First and foremost, our plaques are quality! Not some dinky piece of paper. Hopefully, at this point, you are starting to see that I do have a sense of humor.

Our website can be a little tricky, so a good jumping off point would be to make sure that everyone is going to the appropriate site. In other words, make sure you are going to SGIA's garment site @ www.sgia.org/garment. Now, check out the tagline on that puppy ("Mastering the Art of Garment Decoration"). Here, you can find all the tools you need to win.

Pricing. Ah, yes, ye old pricing question. We really put forth our best effort to give our members a high value, at the best bang for the buck. If your annual revenue is $249,999 or less, membership is $300. If you are international, it is $200. If that doesn't fit your budget, I strongly encourage you to look at our subscription/individual membership. You will receive the Journal along with limited access to the website resources for just $39.99 a quarter.

We will be taking some suggestions from the thread to our meetings this coming week. I will be floating around this forum to answer questions and join in on the conversations.

Thanks!
Scott

Scott:  I'd like to welcome you the www.TheShirtBoard.com aka TSB community, and to say that it's great to have some active representation from SGIA on the site.  I've had the opportunity as an Industry Supplier to have close contact with the Leadership of SGIA and I continue to be impressed with the many programs that the Association has put in place for the Garment Decorating Community.  With that said, I do think that the SGIA is suffering a bit of an identity crisis in the Garment Decorating space given the proliferation of Wide and Grand Format Inkjet Printing equipment manufacturers and suppliers who currently dominate the SGIA Expo. 

This change in the mix of suppliers at the Expo can be felt by the number of screen-print centric companies from the garment decorating segment that didn't exhibit at the recent SGIA in Atlanta that included:  International Coatings, Rutland Group , PolyOne Wilflex, and many of the pre-press product manufacturer / suppliers.  in fact had it not been for the very significant displays by M&R, Ryonet/San Roque, The SGIA Garment Zone and a number of DTG manufacturers the representation of garment decorating at the 2015 SGIA would have been quite sparse.   

Whats interesting to me is that many of the manufacturer/suppliers that didn't exhibit in Atlanta at SGIA are all going to be at ISS Long Beach.  It would seem to me that SGIA would benefit by promoting the value of membership in the Association and participation at the annual SGIA Expo by reaching out to both the printer and the supplier communities.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 04:55:38 AM »
      What would it take for me?.... Well, The dues scale seems backwards, catering more to Dudley's and the international market than big players right in your own backyard. The site is confusing and doesn't really address benefits, but has the feel of a poorly managed union meeting and gov. regulation, And a plaque in any context or quality most likely is of no use to me ....So what would it take?  It just aint going to happen.... TSB (and a few other sites not to be mentioned here) Not only have the highest quality real world members with a wealth of information, but IMO would be far more deserving of any dues/donations. 

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »
I'd guess there are some real benefits to joining, but it seems like you need to be very active and digging through the membership to make it worth it. I just don't have time at this point... I know i'd get to the end of the year and realize I spent the $475 and never had the time to do anything with it.

Maybe it's easier than it seems... maybe the idea of a reduced 1st year rate is a good one.
And putting more of the immediate benefits right up front... it all seems like a bit of a mystery... you have to join and figure out. 

And paying into something that gets you a nice Plaque sounds backwards... aren't you supposed to be awarded a Plaque? :o

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »

And paying into something that gets you a nice Plaque sounds backwards... aren't you supposed to be awarded a Plaque? :o

I believe that these plaques are more like the awards and diplomas in your doctor's office. It could mean something to clients or potential clients if (or once) the organization is recognized as the organization known for attracting industry stars and stalwarts.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
      What would it take for me?.... Well, The dues scale seems backwards, catering more to Dudley's and the international market than big players right in your own backyard. The site is confusing and doesn't really address benefits, but has the feel of a poorly managed union meeting and gov. regulation, And a plaque in any context or quality most likely is of no use to me ....So what would it take?  It just aint going to happen.... TSB (and a few other sites not to be mentioned here) Not only have the highest quality real world members with a wealth of information, but IMO would be far more deserving of any dues/donations.

Well, there you have it. $300.00 membership dues coming up. :)  LOL.  Just kidding.

When I was in sales at another Co. I had access to a membership program that gave you info and contacts + marketing info. It was cumbersome to navigate. If you put the time into it, the benefits were worth the cost when obtaining just one sale. I imagine this is similar.

By the way, you can always mention other forums or groups on here. We are not restrictive to info.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline SGIA

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
It is safe to say that our membership will not be a fit for everyone. We do have some excellent resources such as our industry bench marking reports, wage compensation surveys, classifieds, webinars, and our journals. You can view the details of them at this link... https://www.sgia.org/sgia/sgia-member-benefits-and-subscription-features

Specifically, in regards to the discounts, click here... https://www.sgia.org/membership/feature/dont-pay-full-price-use-sgia-member-discounts

Pwalsh, thank you for your input! We certainly do make an effort to reach out to both printer and supplier communities. I will absolutely forward on your thoughts of the garment suppliers participation level at the show. 

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
-UPDATE-

Not that anyone really cares, but if you are the type that like the prize in the cereal box or cracker jack box prepare to be disappointed as I just was... Turns out if you join SGIA now this fancy plaque I was all so happy to hang on my bare wall of accomplishments, ya, well now if you join that plaque sets you back a extra $40  >:(

I had been waiting so long for this fancy recognition.... :'(  I may print out the membership payment page and hang that up now...  ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »
I can understand that. Maybe if they made the plaques smaller, less expensive it wouldn't be as offensive or such a surprise.  When you win a category in the print competitions you also must buy your award to hand on the wall if you want. I was turned off by that.  One might think that all of the entry fees of others and yours would cover 12 plaques of the winners.  I'm sure it's a feasible reason and they know why they need charge that and we just don't see it on the service.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
Sounds like a joke to me.   
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
Ya, tacky is a understatement...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
I can understand that. Maybe if they made the plaques smaller, less expensive it wouldn't be as offensive or such a surprise.  When you win a category in the print competitions you also must buy your award to hand on the wall if you want. I was turned off by that.  One might think that all of the entry fees of others and yours would cover 12 plaques of the winners.  I'm sure it's a feasible reason and they know why they need charge that and we just don't see it on the service.

Golden Image plaques come free of charge, it's the additional ones that cost money . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!