Author Topic: Bowflex??  (Read 2278 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Bowflex??
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »
We've been thinking about getting a bowflex, particularly the newest one, the revolution spiroflex technology type. Just curious if anyone on here has one, has had one, ect.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Bowflex??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
Are you just starting to work out, or looking to move up on what you're doing? I'm far from an expert, but I do have some opinions.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »
That looks to be much better then the one I had back in the 90's that had actual rods that bent when you pulled or push the handles.  It only gave the optimal amount of resistance for about 6 inches of the flex.

I might even have to give this one a shot to get rid of some of the blubber I've accumulated.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Well, haven't been in the gym in a while, we both have back grounds in fitness, but time has flown and the tummy has grown. We are considering the bowflex because of time and convenience really.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
That looks to be much better then the one I had back in the 90's that had actual rods that bent when you pulled or push the handles.  It only gave the optimal amount of resistance for about 6 inches of the flex.

I might even have to give this one a shot to get rid of some of the blubber I've accumulated.

I know what you mean, it has some great ratings, especially for constant and even resistance with the spiroflex stuff.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
Ill just say this...
I dont like home gyms for myself.  There are too many times where it is easy to say "Ill do it tomorrow".

For me, if I am out of the house at my "gym" (crossfit) I know I will do it if I already drove there to workout. 

Keep the distractions out of the way and just do it! regardless if it is at home, or out.  Just for me, home has never worked out.  Ive had a older model bowflex, and a total gym...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »
Just wait till we get to Ohana's in 2 weeks!  We gonna eat like pigs, start up after that! 8)
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
Just wait till we get to Ohana's in 2 weeks!  We gonna eat like pigs, start up after that! 8)

Got that right man!!!!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
I had one in college and I used it when I couldn't get to the gym or when the gym was too crowded.  The college gym got so bad when I was there it was unpleasant to go there so I bought a bowflex.  If you use it correctly it will most certainly get you in shape.  I had the 410 lb option but it was the top of the line model in around 2000 so they have probably changed a lot over the years.  I never quite fell in love with it and still preferred lifting real weights and the gym atmosphere, but the bowflex will build muscle at almost the same rate as free weights, in my opinion.  I got very strong using the bowflex and when I would get to a real gym from time to time I was pushing up weight I couldn't before I was using the bowflex.  Not by a huge margin but it helps work those stabilizing muscles that you don't get to work using other systems.  It's awkward at first, you'll be very wobbly and shaky, but once those stabilizing muscles get stronger you'll be fine and when you get under a bench press later on it always felt like I had more control.  It's resistance, different, but still resistance that makes you perform the movement in a more controlled way.  Some of the deepest soreness I've ever had were after bowflex workouts.  And I used to work hard at the gym.  I would be sore for 6-7 days often after a hard leg workout so I know how to put in the work at the gym.  I did almost all of my sets to failure and beyond, whether I was at the gym or on the bowflex so I was going to see results no matter what I used as long as I ate properly. 

When I got the bowflex I was working out with 315-325 on the incline bench press and I got up to 365 x 8 reps about 18 months later and I probably did half of my workouts in the gym and half on the bowflex.  I never did max reps on anything but gauged my progress by what I did on my working sets.  The only downside to my bowflex was getting a tough leg workout because the squat mechanism was hokey and hard to do.  I usually slogged up to the gym for leg days due to that, but everything else was a solid workout. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
plyometrics. it's free.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...