Author Topic: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.  (Read 14206 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
As some of you know, I've been invited to join the Garment Steering committee at the SGIA. Our Greg Kitson is the chair so I have high hopes and expectations from it.

One thing that keeps going through my mind is, what would SGIA have to offer to get more ppl to join? There is a lot of skill there that most or all of us in smaller to medium size companies could benefit from.

What would you need to see to Join?

pierre

p.s. please post even if you don't know, or don't think you will ever join . . . I am looking for any feedback, positive or negative.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline BorisB

Re: what would it take for you to join SGIA? Please help with an answer.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
Sample Employee Handbook like yours ????
But I'm member already

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
Reduced rates on small package carriers?
LTL and truckload discounts?
National Surveys on wage and compensation, broken down by regions and company size?
Discounts on packages at trade shows?
Numerous papers written on all aspects of decorating, traditional and digital?
Connections?

Still discovering the benefits, and happy to currently be a member

Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »
Reduced rates on small package carriers?
LTL and truckload discounts?
National Surveys on wage and compensation, broken down by regions and company size?
Discounts on packages at trade shows?
Numerous papers written on all aspects of decorating, traditional and digital?
Connections?

Still discovering the benefits, and happy to currently be a member

Dave, agreed there is stuff there, but even we don't really take advantage of it. So I guess my comment would that it would have to be easier to use/find.

pierre

p.s. all kinds of views, but very few posts. Please let me know what you are thinking even if it's "too busy to think about it now" Thanx!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
Ill bite, know zero about it so I have never looked at what they offer and what that costs. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:53 PM »
we have been members for 3 years... the osha training articles have been great... as we add more employees we'll probably buy their program (which the discount pretty much covers the cost to buy it)

we use their discount program with YRC, as well as FedEX...

main reason for joining is Tiffany wanted to take the SGIA Totally Garments class when she was getting started, it was better to join and get the discount than it was to go as a non-member.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
Ill bite, know zero about it so I have never looked at what they offer and what that costs.

thanx, great feedback!

pierre

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »

thanx, great feedback!

pierre

That was a great opportunity for you to tell me why I should look at it. Haha. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline aauusa

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
we have thought about if in the past and event currently.  It is hard to justify the cost.  Not that SGIA does not offer enough it is just hard for a small business owner/worker to be able to take full advantage of them.  It seems each time I have gone looking it was for a certain subject matter and to have that resource would be great but the cost of getting it and then only using it when you need it which is not much(for us, or maybe more if I had more time to see everything  they offer)  I look at it like the old encyclopedias great to have but how many time were they opened.

I guess for us we would need to use it much more to get the full benefits

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
OK, an example from me. We do one big show a year, Baseball Winter Meetings. The saving from Yellow, getting a crate and a few pallets there and back, pays for our membership.

More to come.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Haven't really looked into it, as the last SGIA show I went to was so digital I haven't gone back......its been all ISS long beach.

Maybe the membership to SGIA has more to offer than the show?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
I'd already be a member if they accepted applications from individuals. 
Seems odd to me that they don't.

As to why they may be struggling with getting people on board?
Bean counters never want to pay for this kind of stuff, and have no idea what benefits it would bring to a shop.
Some of the SPTF docs are worth a few hundred bucks on their own, IMHO... although I see no clear info on what resources you get access to with membership these days either, so who knows.  Maybe you have to pay to find out you have to pay?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:18 PM »
I had considered joining, but they really have ZERO to offer. I was in touch with one of their people that "cared" when I pressed them on actual questions, the emails went dead....

I had considered joining mainly because Greg was/is involved. There is the OSHA thing, and they do have some wage info, but I can't think of one actual reason I'd WANT to join(aside from supporting something Greg is involved with).

Seems like 5 years ago SGIA couldn't even spell Textile... I personally think Impressions would have a better chance starting their own association....

For your guys that really think you are getting a good deal with the "SGIA YRC discount" pm me and I'll tell you how to save quite a bit more. The FedEx thing I thought was nice, but 5min and Google you can find a FREE association you submit your email and FedEx number to and you get the SAME discount.

Just my .02, which most of you know is extreme and really only worth .01 ;)
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »
I'd consider joining, do they have rates for members outside the USA that won't benefit from all the discounts etc.       The only thing we could use is educational info on the web.
I have no idea what membership costs.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 06:04:10 AM »
Yeah but don't forget that nice plaque you get that no one cares about