Author Topic: George Lucas of Starwars/Indiana Jones fame calls Disney "white slavers"  (Read 2603 times)

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
interesting (if not sue-able) to say the least
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
Re: George Lucas of Starwars/Indiana Jones fame calls Disney "white slavers"
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
    Sue-able? ,For what?.... Freedom of speech and all, But the interesting part would be he sold it, so his opinion doesn't really amount to a hill of squat.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
He's right.  When you sell Yoda tee shirts that say "pull my finger" or when you put DARTH on stage doing a dance at the Studios with the storm troopers as backup dancers, your destroying what
 Star Wars is. You've jumped the shark.

"Jumped the shark". Ya know, that's when the Fonze jumped the shark. They were changing what Happy days was and looked for new things to grab the audience. The show was dead after that.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
Maybe he regrets selling?
Saw the movie on Monday. I thought it was well done, had some surprises, and hat tips to the earlier 4, 5 and 6.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »
He's right.  When you sell Yoda tee shirts that say "pull my finger" or when you put DARTH on stage doing a dance at the Studios with the storm troopers as backup dancers, your destroying what
 Star Wars is. You've jumped the shark.

"Jumped the shark". Ya know, that's when the Fonze jumped the shark. They were changing what Happy days was and looked for new things to grab the audience. The show was dead after that.
  Possibly, but the show has stood the test of time, and to kill it off like that would be more of a oversaturation of the market, (Duck Dynasty comes to mind) not  parody shirts that would be collected by the diehards who just wont let it go, as well as the new age generation.... As for the fonze, That show nosedived before the shark. Mork and his FDAU thing (IMO) is where it was just to stupid to watch, But catering to the record company's, and  poor direction didn't help.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
Boo. Hoo.  He chose to sell it.  And he got $4B for it.  It's pretty difficult to feel bad for the guy.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Underbase37

Jealous much

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »
is selling to Disney any worse than what he did with 1-3? Especially Episode 1.

Also, what he said was ludicrous.  True slavery is non payment for services/work.  Everybody is getting paid, especially Lucas.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
Star Wars jumped the shark with Ewoks. The JarJar and the Whiney Sith Baby trilogy took it even farther. Disney is bringing credibility back the franchise.

The only reason Lucas made SW in the first place is because he couldn't buy the rights to Flash Gordon in the '70s.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:35:12 PM by Command-Z »
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
    Sue-able? ,For what?.... Freedom of speech and all, But the interesting part would be he sold it, so his opinion doesn't really amount to a hill of squat.
So what. He was asking a question during an interview and he voiced his concern/his opinion. I think there are more then a few people who might be interested in his take on the latest SW movie. But in all fairness the last 3 he made did not amount to much more then a big pile of poo though.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:29 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody has touched on the contract between him and the mouse.  I am certain that in that contract Disney didn't allow him to criticize the studios making the movies, Disney or the movies themselves.  If the creator of the series slammed the movie it could cost easily cost Disney millions.

I just wouldn't see Disney buying something for $4b and not covering their bases.

Offline Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
I read a couple of days ago that he is saying he didn't mean it.

Did the Mouse strong arm him? :-X

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »
Boo. Hoo.  He chose to sell it.  And he got $4B for it.  It's pretty difficult to feel bad for the guy.

I'm with you.

4 b b b BILLION(!) is a dollar every second for 126 years. Or a new $85,000 Range Rover every day for a century and a quarter. (86,400 seconds in a day.)

I wouldn't walk across the street to watch the new one one for free, but Lucas can just shut up as far as I'm concerned.

I've had my fill of petulant, immature millionaires too, but that's a different topic. I'd hate to hijack this profoundly weighty thread.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
I went to see the new Star wars last night with my son. It was good. It wasn't fantastic, but it was indeed good. Then came the end...and I was like WHA?  Ok here we go. and I was right. Turns out Disney has 4 more movies lined up to continue the saga..or sales.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850