Author Topic: Ghost image left on screen  (Read 2785 times)

Offline RichNation

• Worry is interest paid before it's due.
Ghost image left on screen
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
After spraying my screens down with emulsion stripper and scrubbing the heck out of them, then spraying them down with my hose nozzle, (not a pressure washer but my house has high pressure) I still have a "ghost image" left on the screen.

I'm thinking one of two things:
1) I need to pressure was the screen to get the image out because it may have a negative effect on future burns.

2) It's not a big deal, de-greasing and burning a new image on it will cover the "ghost image"

I apologize if I didn't use the terminology correctly but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Richard

Offline redwoodtees

Re: Ghost image left on screen
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
Google "haze remover screen printing"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Look closely at the ghost at different angles. If there are any solid spots it will effect future imaging.
If not, it's an annoyance and won't harm anything, but personally I don't like seeing them.

Several suggestions:

Clean screens (at least the ink) asap after use.

Be sure to liquify all residual plastisol well with a quality cleaner.

Consider a pressure washer, this is probably the biggest.

Consider a ghost/haze remover, adds a step (or not, can replace degreasing with certain chems)
but is usually a good line of last defense.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »
after we started using a pressure washer and good chemicals, we've never used a haze remover since...  even on screens that have been archived for a long period of time.

1.  get a pressure washer... (even a cheapy will do to start).

2. use good chemicals... we use Saati IR-26 now, but used to use Easiway 701 with the same results.

3. remove ink with your ink remover...  rinse... remove emulsion with emulsion remover and pressure washer... apply 701 or IR-26 again... pressure wash.... clean water rinse (or degrease if you so choose).

even tough WB pigments will come out of the screen easily using both of the chemicals I mentioned.

- once the screen is ghosted, it's a pita to ever get it back to 'new' condition...

- haze remover will eat the mesh over time, and with repeated use will lead to weakend screens (especially evident on S-mesh)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
Look closely at the ghost at different angles. If there are any solid spots it will effect future imaging.
If not, it's an annoyance and won't harm anything, but personally I don't like seeing them.

I believe that enough of a "tint" can affect exposure in the affected areas
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline RichNation

• Worry is interest paid before it's due.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.

I cleaned the water based ink out right after I was finished.
I left the emulsion on the screen for a couple weeks after that, just in-case the customer wasn't happy and wanted me to re-do some.

It sounds like if I have a better cleaner this could have been avoided?
I do have a pressure washer but it is construction grade so it outs out around 2500 PSI, I thought that was too much but maybe not?

The cleaner I use are:
For ink- Sgreen aqua wash
For emulsion Sgreen emulsion stripper
I bought these from Ryonet so I figured they were good, any opinions on those or should I definitely switch to Saati IR-26 or Easiway 701?

Thanks again for the quick replies and the good information.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I have been trying to get rid of ghost image for years, and this is what works for me.

1. make sure your screen is not under exposed, some of the under exposed emulsion slime will be trapped in the open area, after drying it is harder to reclaim.
2. when reclaiming, keep the screen wet at all time, apply a haze remover.

BTW: I read somewhere that better quality ink will have more of a chance of leaving a ghost image than a cheaper one due to the smaller pigment particles.

I believe that enough of a "tint" can affect exposure in the affected areas

For sure, especially when we are doing halftones.....

Offline cperico

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
A pressure washer will certainly give you great results and may help as a solution. You can find inexpensive electric pressure washers at Home Depot for as little as $120.

We have received great feedback on the KIWO Dual Strip used for removing stencils, and the KIWO Concentrated Ink Wash to help as a stain remover.
Another great stain remover is the CCI Pink Stuff. This is been a pretty popular product!

I've attached the Tech Data Sheets as well for your review. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:11:41 AM by cperico »

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
I second the pink stuff, but we get it from ICC "the original"

Also some WB is just more likely to stain, i.e. *black.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
I see Franmar has a new haze remover out (Haze Remover ES), with high claims of being good and emulsion safe, don't really care about it being emulsion safe as I'm removing it and ink LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
I see Franmar has a new haze remover out (Haze Remover ES), with high claims of being good and emulsion safe, don't really care about it being emulsion safe as I'm removing it and ink LOL

That's a little strange until you think about using the same screen for white ink after using it for and leaving a stain of red. Though that would probably only be the case with a "keeper"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »

That's a little strange until you think about using the same screen for white ink after using it for and leaving a stain of red. Though that would probably only be the case with a "keeper"

I don't know about you but I only use dehaze after I've remove the emulsion to get out ghost and stains which are the same thing I would think. If I do an ink change I'm using screen wash or screen opener.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

I don't know about you but I only use dehaze after I've remove the emulsion to get out ghost and stains which are the same thing I would think. If I do an ink change I'm using screen wash or screen opener.

But like I said, the instance I mentioned would be the only case in which it would need to be "emulsion safe"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
After going back and reading there ad again the claim is for removing haze without breaking down the emulsion if you plan on cataloging the screens  hmmm they claim to be the first haze remover for emulsion safe, might have to try it just to see how well it will clean DC screen stains as well