Author Topic: Photo emusion hard in winter  (Read 2803 times)

Offline noortrd

Photo emusion hard in winter
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »
My CCi Pfxhv emulsion hard in winter. Is there any way to reduce viscosity.? Some said add hot water in emuslion  or put bucker in hot water tub. Any comments?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Photo emusion hard in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
No idea what your setup is, but I have a screen room which I keep at around 80 degrees regardless of the time of year.  Emulsion lives in the room and is always the right temp.

Offline noortrd

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
what u do to keep 80 degree?. My room temprature 60 degree at night.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
My CCi Pfxhv emulsion hard in winter. Is there any way to reduce viscosity.? Some said add hot water in emuslion  or put bucker in hot water tub. Any comments?

I would not dilute it.
Depending on temp of water, sitting your bucket in a container of warm water sounds like it could work. Too hot, and you'll have issues with the stuff closest to the sides of the bucket.
How about just keeping it in a more temperature-controlled area? 

Have you ever contacted the tech folks at CCI? I always recommend going straight to the horse's mouth when possible. It eliminates hearsay and anecdotal suggestions. http://www.ccidom.com/us/en/contact/

Oh and noortrd, mimosa says he keeps his temp at 80, that means heating and cooling. Perhaps a small space heater could help you.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
The next step in the warm water bath idea would be the addition of a simple fish tank heater which could keep your water at  a nice 70-80 degrees
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 01:12:32 PM »
I have a dehumidifier in the room that pretty much acts as a heater, then I have a small window unit ac as well that kicks on then the room gets above 85. It stays around 78 on a nice cold night from just the dehumidifier. The room is built inside another room and we'll insulated and basically airtight to keep the temp, humidity, and dust under control.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »
Noortd:

Does the emulsion get to your print shop cold and thick?  Or does it only thicken up after you have received the product?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline noortrd

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
Yes Colin it's fine in summer but in winter  it's cold and thick.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 04:10:13 PM »
Yes Colin it's fine in summer but in winter  it's cold and thick.

This is an odd one. We are in an ancient mill building, that can get pretty cold at night, but we've never had that problem. I suppose that could happen (obviously, since it's happening to you) but I don't see why at 60°. If emulsion gets too warm and humid it will pre-expose, so don't put it in a bucket of hot water. Maybe take it home at night?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
I keep my dual cure gal bucket in the fridge and when I need to pour off a qt I just sit it out and let it get to room temp never had any problems but I do live in the south and where Steve lives I know it can get cold and a monkeys azz at times.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline noortrd

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »
How much time you put in room temperature?.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
build a heated box. Plywood box and install a 25 watt light bulb and a common t-stat to open / close the circuit. Set the temp @ 75 and throw in your bucket(s). Emulsion buckets are light safe or should be and 25 watter should be no problem with UV.
 Also works nice for white ink in the cooler climates.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_494849-74493-CT410A1019___?productId=4778154&pl=1&Ntt=thermostat

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »
@ noortrd, we get in around 8 so I just take it out and sit on top of the dryer when first start it up or just sit it on the floor for an hour or two, then pour off a qt and back in the fridge.  If it's going to go bad I'll rather have a qt bad than the whole gal bucket for sitting out.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
This:

The Shirt House
SELLING TEE SHIRTS TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT THEM, SPORTING DESIGNS THEY DON'T LIKE AND PAYING FOR WITH MONEY THEY DON'T HAVE

Describes screen printing to a tee!

Like the box idea.  I avoid refrigerators, adds condensation/water to the emulsion over time.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline noortrd

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 01:51:29 AM »
whats is condenstation?