Author Topic: made a pattern fill with pantone colors...will it sep?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

made a pattern fill with pantone colors...will it sep?
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »
Using coreldraw X5.

I have a company logo and mascot for a customer and they want it with a desert camo fill.

I found a vector desert camo design.

I opened it up in coreldraw...ungrouped it and converted all of the colors in the camo to its closest matching Pantone solid color.

I saved it....then clicked on the design....loaded the desert camo pattern fill into the design and it filled perfectly.....

BUT...my question is will this sep properly? I ask because I am putting the color picker over the camo in the design and its not picking any color up even though the camo fill is there.

I am at my regular job doing this so I am not by my printer...my thermal image setter and epson 3000 software is not loaded on my pc here at work...i just have coreldraw x5 on it, and just to see what the seps would look like, i went thru the steps of separating them in coreldraw x5 and the camo is coming up as CYMK...it's making me think pattern fills can't be loaded as pantone colors.

Any suggestions/insight would be helpful and appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:42:41 PM by Mark @ Hurricane Printing »
Mark

Offline larryk

• !!!
Re: made a pattern fill with pantone colors...will it sep?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
Yes it will sep just fine..... on pattern fill and powerclip it doesn't show the colors for some reason.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Not a Corel user (Illy), but I would convert the camo to spot colors first (they may not be?) then I would think they would print out just fine.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:32 PM »
Not a Corel user (Illy), but I would convert the camo to spot colors first (they may not be?) then I would think they would print out just fine.

Steve

"I found a vector desert camo design.
I opened it up in coreldraw...ungrouped it and converted all of the colors in the camo to its closest matching Pantone solid color".

Sounds like, according to Larry, spot color pattern fills and power clips sep fine but do not display properly
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »

Steve

"I found a vector desert camo design.
I opened it up in coreldraw...ungrouped it and converted all of the colors in the camo to its closest matching Pantone solid color".

Sounds like, according to Larry, spot color pattern fills and power clips sep fine but do not display properly

D-oh!, missed that. Can't wait to go home today, really tired, go figure.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
thanks everyone....this evening after work i will sep it at home and give a status update.
Mark

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
Corel!!!!!! :-X
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
Corel!!!!!! :-X

It has been said that what's lacking here and would attract the old artistes of the old board are more Adobe vs. Corel and PC vs Mac debates.
Are you trying to get the ball rolling Darryl?

CorelDRAW has its issues, but nothing, nothing compares to the hundreds of slivers that can make up a gradient object in some Illy files. And don't get me started on masks!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
Just got home....seps didn't work. I'm still getting CYMK....but what is weird is I'm also getting one part of the design sep'ing with the pantone colors....but that part of the design is ALSO showing CYMK.

The mascot in the company logo showing as pantone seps and CYMK.....the text in the design showing up as only cymk.

The mascot is not touching the text.
Mark

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
I'm not saying I have your answer. Just some comentary.

illustrator came out with the multiply feature in vector and it originally would not separate as spot colors. Is would come out as CMYK and they fixed that either in the next version or an update.

Then there was another function well used today with spot color that would only initially do cmyk seps. Filters and masked/grouped elements placed into fills would in the past, only work when in CMYK but were quickly changed to handle spot color output. Your situation here sounds similar.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline aauusa

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »
Just got home....seps didn't work. I'm still getting CYMK....but what is weird is I'm also getting one part of the design sep'ing with the pantone colors....but that part of the design is ALSO showing CYMK.

The mascot in the company logo showing as pantone seps and CYMK.....the text in the design showing up as only cymk.

If you have you camo pattern in a vector form where you were able to change the colors of each section then just group that full camo pattern and duplicate it to make it as large as the area you need.  then just power clip the camo pattern into your object you want to have the camo pattern.  no need to make it a pattern fill which is what i think you have done.

this will allow it to print out however you want.  you can add fades and any other effect as well.  the eye dropper will not read the correct colors. 

the pic show what I am referring to.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »

If you have you camo pattern in a vector form where you were able to change the colors of each section then just group that full camo pattern and duplicate it to make it as large as the area you need.  then just power clip the camo pattern into your object you want to have the camo pattern.  no need to make it a pattern fill which is what i think you have done.

this will allow it to print out however you want.  you can add fades and any other effect as well.  the eye dropper will not read the correct colors. 

the pic show what I am referring to.

Still no luck..I've attached the PDF of the design and camo pattern.

I go to power clip it and the camo pattern disappears but it doesn't show up in the design.

and yes....I did convert the colors into pantone colors.

and yes I was doing the "pattern fill" in the first attempt...the pattern fill was the camp with pantone colors.

the attached PDF has the "pattern fill" in it
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:35:26 AM by Mark @ Hurricane Printing »
Mark

Offline aauusa

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
looked at the file and you had 3 pieces of the camo pattern still in cmyk colors.  you also had the wording as a bitmap and not vector so it was in cmyk colors.  the little mascot was in a vector pattern which is vector based so yes you can print the color seps even though the eye dropper see rgb values.  but in the vector pattern you had left 2 pieces in the cmyk value and that is why some of that image was on the cmyk plates as well as the spot color plates.    I have done one above yours the way we would handle it at our shop.  I just took your camo pattern(vector) change the few pieces which were still cmyk values to your spot values and the power clipped them into the basic shapes.  For the wording I had to do a trace because your wording was a bitmap and needed to be a 1 color shape so I can power clip the camo patter in them.     You can extract the power clip from the wording or mascot and then make a vector based pattern fill and do it the way you have done which is how  the top image in the file.

the main issue was that not all of the pattern was converted to spot color when you made the vector pattern.

hope this helps rather than confuse

the zip file has a corel x5 file and pdf

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
Once again, a TSB member going above and beyond! Good job Daniel!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
Once again, a TSB member going above and beyond! Good job Daniel!

Have to get my good karma from somewhere. :)