Author Topic: October Shirt Contest - Prints Charming?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
October Shirt Contest - Prints Charming?
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
We're trying again.

Pictures of prints to be submitted via email to us contest@theshirtboard.com through October 22, posted for display and voting October 24-30
winner announced October 31

1. One entry per member
2. Print made this year
3. Prints to be judged by members on total coolness, not necessarily technical expertise.

The first prize is donated by International Coatings (thank you very much!!!). It is a special effects kit containing several quarts of various inks (for example, Granite Base, BlowOut Base, Destructo White, and Astro Clear). Some of which are featured on our home page in the video section. I was lucky enough to see some of this first hand at an ISS show and it looked pretty cool. This is an opportunity to add some SFX to your repertoire and/or try some of IC inks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:46:39 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: October Shirt Contest - Prints Charming?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
I hope you don't take this the wrong way...I don't understand this contest. Almost all of the screen printers on here don't design the shirts they print. One of the rules (the main one) on how they will be judged is "3. Prints to be judged by members on total coolness, not necessarily technical expertise." Coolness? We didn't design the shirt our customer did. So the winner in this contest is really the client not the printer that submitted the print. I know to a point it has to be judged on the design but eliminating the "technical expertise", well that’s the part we did. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:39:50 AM »
Technical expertise has not been eliminated from the competition, rather, it is relegated to only one possible judging benchmark,. This is to make the competition more inclusive by eliminating the intimidation factor since we have a few long term heavy hitters here, as well as many just getting into the game.
Since the contest was first discussed two months ago, we agreed that shirts would be judged by their whole gestalt. Perhaps sixteen colors with four different special effects are part of the winning design, or perhaps two simple spot colors of a clever drawing that bring a smile to one's face. To reiterate; technical expertise was never "eliminated", merely joined by other factors. The rules and explanation merely says "not necessarily" on the technical expertise.  Simple? Complicated? Not super technical but a good execution, even of someone else's art? Go for it.
The trade shows and magazines are where you send your best, most technical prints. TheShirtBoard.com, is where you send a print that you just think that your fellow members would like.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
Ok, that works.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
"Prints Charming" I just got it man am I slow.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
Here are the voting guidelines.

Vote for what one you like best out of the bunch.

Carry on.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
and for the ones who could use a link to the entries and the poll

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=1820.0

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
Here are the voting guidelines.

Vote for what one you like best out of the bunch.

Carry on.

Could you simplify that for me? I don't have a lot of book larnin'...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't