Author Topic: DO NOT DO THIS!  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Ron Pierson

Re: DO NOT DO THIS!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
White ink can be a trap sometimes - so can the shirts.

We had a 55 gallon drum of "A new white" from a trusted vendor that did this. It wasn't one of those - "cotton white only" - whites. We had heat guns testing the white all the way thru the one color, white, print. We have gas dryers. Middle of the day, straight thru run, front and back, same logo. We tested the temp at 360, packed the shirts up, shipped them, and got the phone call. 

Shirts were royal blue and red Guildans, 100% cotton - 300 pieces (150 red-150 royal).
The ink washed off the red shirts only.
Sometimes it is not JUST the ink......

(We replaced the shirts and gave the drum back to the vendor)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
As you know, different color shirts can absorb or reflect heat differently, (though red and royal shouldn't be that different), but for whatever reason, the red shirts could have had more moisture in them as well. Who knows? But I also understand that unless this ink had some other fantastic redeeming quality, why take a chance?

Lotsa' gremlins helping Mr. Murphy in this industry.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
I have a guy that does embroidery here in town and he has two almost identical computers that he uses for digitizing.

He rotates them through my shop quarterly because they are ALWAYS messing up on him.  Granted it's always something simple but that just goes to show you... some gremlins for sure!  He is a VERY clean and organized guy and his shop is as well so I know it's not him.

I'm building him a 6 core, 8 gig monster now... 60gig Solid State OS drive and two 750gigs in a raid 1 for the data storage.  The system was meant for my wife but he's done with this and wanted the same system after I told him about it and priced it out for him.  So he is taking hers (we were still building it) and I'm ordering new parts for her. :)

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
So, stupid question -what temp do you guys shoot for with plastisol? We try to hit around 360, maybe a little more depending on the ink deposit, a little less if it's fleece and a poly ink, maybe around 320. . .the only time -and most recent- I had something like this happen, it was with a particular white ink that shale remain nameless - it washed out of EVERYTHING i put it on. . .after I blew through about 5 gallons. . .and about 2k worth of replacements. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
So, stupid question -what temp do you guys shoot for with plastisol? We try to hit around 360, maybe a little more depending on the ink deposit, a little less if it's fleece and a poly ink, maybe around 320. . .the only time -and most recent- I had something like this happen, it was with a particular white ink that shale remain nameless - it washed out of EVERYTHING i put it on. . .after I blew through about 5 gallons. . .and about 2k worth of replacements. . .

Why not name the ink and the series to save your fellow printers the grief? If the manufacture reads your post maybe they'll create a better product? Are there bullies in the industries that's going to show up with baseball bats? I wasn't afraid to tell Vastex their v1000 was a piece of crap nor was I afraid to warn others not to buy one. Clue us in man!  ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »

Why not name the ink and the series to save your fellow printers the grief? If the manufacture reads your post maybe they'll create a better product? Are there bullies in the industries that's going to show up with baseball bats? I wasn't afraid to tell Vastex their v1000 was a piece of crap nor was I afraid to warn others not to buy one. Clue us in man!  ;)

I don't want the thread to go way astray, but you were out of line on the V-1000 rant. You bought their entry level press rather than than their industrial quality model back when you were still pretty green and didn't know.
Once again, you didn't take our advice, and bought cheap new instead of taking advantage of depreciation on a higher quality used. (or waiting until you could afford better quality new)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
I think your missing my point...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
No, I understood your point, but am not going to sit idly by when you still spread information that I think is false with your example.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
No, I understood your point, but am not going to sit idly by when you still spread information that I think is false with your example.

Fair enough, but I still stand by my claim.I had hands on experience with my example and wouldnt hesitate warning another screen printing bro if the said press was mentioned. Luckily I've been flying the RJenning's skys now  ;D

I guess we'll just have to hope to never end up with the same ink that Ron or Homer have come across.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:46:20 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
Although I suppose there is always a chance that there is a bad batch of ink, I will say that usually, curing problems can be tied to something else.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
Frog,  I was thinking the same thing about the rant. People are entitled to opinions but also know, that if we put it out there, others may know more about he situation and may provide a rebuttal. If we happen to be on the arrogant side at the we time, (someone) might put us in our place. It happens. Brush it off and move on as endless has done. We all may need to take one just as much as you give one.  With that said,

No matter the ink, the machine, the company. In business, crap happens. We all have experienced making a mistake. Sometimes out customers experience the results. We've seen is posted here by our brave fellow members posting about there pfho pawes (mistakes).  Just because a company has had a miss hap or supplied you with a crap batch, doesn't mean that "the company' is bad. Don't throw out the baby with the wash.

Any ink manufacturing rep will  tell you that the company they work for has on one or more occasions shipped out a bad batch (for one reason or another). I've used ICC, Union, Wilflex, Rutland, Plastomeric,  and a few others I've forgotten. I'll bet that each one of them has shipped out a bad batch at one time. Same for the shirt company's. Who hasn't got a oil stain on a batch of shirts?

Same with press manufacturer's, printers, and artist.

Just say'n.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
I'm not saying, it doesn't matter. I'm sure I did something wrong too. . .back to the question. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
Kind of funny, I bought a 5 gallon of ink that was sitting around my local screen supplier with "bad ink" written on top. I made an offer , picked it up for the cost of a quart and it's been printing just fine... shrugged it off as the user must have been doing something wrong. Score!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
Kind of funny, I bought a 5 gallon of ink that was sitting around my local screen supplier with "bad ink" written on top. I made an offer , picked it up for the cost of a quart and it's been printing just fine... shrugged it off as the user must have been doing something wrong. Score!

That might have been Homer's bucket!

J/K he said he went through it all... just making a point. :)

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
Funny thing is, other people on the boards do use that ink and like it.  I use it here.  It's good, it's just one of the inks in my arsenal.