Author Topic: Ventilation  (Read 1985 times)

Offline jvieira

Ventilation
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
I was replying to a post and this came to my mind. My employees keep complaining about the chemical smells in the reclaiming room and how hard it is to be in there.

We are on a warehouse and didn't want to spend too much money on making separate rooms for a few things so we bought a wood garage for screen making/reclaiming. That is where we reclaim our screens.
As for ventilation we have a powerful bathroom vent (cost us $300, really pulls air out) which made it better and we now have a fan for air circulation as well.
Still, they tell me the air is not breathable and they wear masks for reclaiming. They are asking for yet another fan for air to go both ways (which is ok, those are cheap).

What sort of setup do you have to make it easier for your guys?

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
The solution may be to take a look at using other chemicals.  We use a combination of CCI, Franmar and Easi-Way products and have never had a complaint about the odor.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »
what chemicals are you using now?

we use a combination of CPS and CCI reclaim chemicals:
CPS type t for ink removal - high flashpoint and low evaporation

CCI envirostrip emulsion remover

CPS haze remover

we have had some new employees that have worked at other shops say our shop smells better than others.  - less solvent smell and no aerosol screen opener.

our ventilation consists of three 24" ceiling fans and three 48" window fans - all set to exhaust.  the window fans are on the opposite wall from the reclaim area. 

Offline jvieira

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »
I'm afraid there aren't that many options for chemicals where we are. No CCI or anything. We buy a few chemicals from the UK, France and Germany but it gets super expensive.
The ones we have access to are not the most eco friendly and definitely not the most "user friendly". They are rebranded by our supplier and unfortunately could not tell you who makes them

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
I'm afraid there aren't that many options for chemicals where we are. No CCI or anything. We buy a few chemicals from the UK, France and Germany but it gets super expensive.
The ones we have access to are not the most eco friendly and definitely not the most "user friendly". They are rebranded by our supplier and unfortunately could not tell you who makes them

I would suggest as well to use CPS.
Here are the contact details for Portugal
http://www.cps.eu/wheretobuy/23-portugal

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »
Vent the reclaim booth with a 24" resturant cooking hood fan. Like 2k but pulls 3000cfm or something crazy
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline jvieira

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:34:14 AM »
Here are the contact details for Portugal
http://www.cps.eu/wheretobuy/23-portugal

Happens the same with most vendors. There are no portuguese vendors, those are spanish contacts. Still worth a try, shipping should be cheaper than the rest. Thanks for the contact!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:38:19 AM »
I ordered CPS from a dealer in the UK who gave me good prices.
I am using a dip tank and the chemicals do not smell.
if you need details please PM me.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jvieira

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:36 AM »
Already emailed them, now will wait and see how they compare. Even if it's more expensive I'll probably give it a try. In the long run might be even more expensive to have a disgruntled or a "high" employee due to the fumes

Offline jvieira

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 04:05:54 AM »
our ventilation consists of three 24" ceiling fans and three 48" window fans - all set to exhaust.  the window fans are on the opposite wall from the reclaim area.

Where are they exhausting to? Our only vent exhausts to a tube that runs through the ceiling. It would costs us way too much money to have another one do the same.

I'm going to buy a new fan to have clean air in and am also looking into greener chemicals.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 08:03:47 AM »

Where are they exhausting to? Our only vent exhausts to a tube that runs through the ceiling. It would costs us way too much money to have another one do the same.

I'm going to buy a new fan to have clean air in and am also looking into greener chemicals.

the fans exhaust outside of the building - all the fans on that side of the shop push air out.  the windows on the other side bring in air from the outside.

we do have a large production floor of 15,000 sq feet (about 1400 square meters)

Offline jvieira

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »

Found out the original brand of the chemicals we buy. They're from CHIM 92 (http://chim92.com/site/index.php/en/products)
CPS did not reply yet.

Maxie, you got PM