Author Topic: Cyclohexanone as a haze remover  (Read 1397 times)

Offline TCred

• Verified/Junior
Cyclohexanone as a haze remover
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »
I am led to believe by an old skool printer that Cyclohexanone is a good haze remover.

It's a common enough chemical although European standards seem to frown on it.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Cyclohexanone as a haze remover
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
That's not one I ever came across, and I'm almost as old as they get! (Unless, it is in fact, the chemical or a chemical in commercial haze removers.)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCred

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 03:31:04 AM »
Hmmmm me thinks it's a bit strange as well. Maybe I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'm not too keen on using it from an OH&S and environemental point of view, more of an academic curiosity.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »
Dehaze I believe is basically low concentration caustic soda better known as sodium hydroxide a very useful chemical in industry.

years ago you could buy this stuff in a spray can to use in your home.......it was called EasyOff oven cleaner. There was other junk in there to make it foam, stick to the walls , not evaporate too quickly etc but the workhorse was caustic soda.

Current formula today may be watered down a little from the 50's skin burner but still the active part is caustic soda.

For you home brew mad scientists want to play you can start here
http://www.wackyuses.com/easyoff.html
http://www.wackyuses.com

the down side is constant dehazing eats screens so to minimize this you need to do counter the Ph balance back to neutral. A few days ago a board brother, I think from Surloc ?,  posted about using a spray of 50/50 water / white vinegar which is an acid to counter the strong base of the dehaze.

mooseman
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:57:54 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
Dehaze I believe is basically low concentration caustic soda better known as sodium hydroxide a very useful chemical in industry.

Some old school pastes, not so low concentration! Auto Haze paste from McDermid is crazy strong, and will eat through mesh in fifteen minutes! (Less if put on a dry screen)
The newer semi viscous liquids like CCI Liquid Renuit have about 10% Potassium Hydroxide, and are much more manageable though sensible care is still required.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?