Author Topic: pulling good browns and skin tones.  (Read 2589 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
pulling good browns and skin tones.
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
Hi everybody.

I need to sep this today. The designer's original separation will not work. I have been reading through Mitch Different's book and would like to try some of those techniques here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33238853/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%2011.04.27%20AM.png

Because the skin tones are a big feature of the image I would like to include at least one brown. I have a lot of techniques available for creating them with red/yellow/black but would like some tricks for pulling good browns and skintones as these colors don't seem to be as easy to pull out of a graphic as the traditional 6 common hues.

Thanks!

Offline ol man

Re: pulling good browns and skin tones.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
pm sent

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
Here is a pretty comin trick.

Convert to CMYK. Then take that black and copy it. It's got much more shadow tones than you really need for black, BUT, change the color to your brown and you've got a pretty good mid tone  and show tones (as a brown).

Now, copy that again, and adjust the curves to burn out some of the highlight ares in that channel giibg into the mid tones, leaving pretty much just the shadows. Make sure to use a sloping curve up, when adjusting so that you don't have any major abrupt burn outs. Take out from the highlight area and this can be your blavk screen. Now, be cautious to pay attention to the extreme shadow areas. Since you have a brown found under this, you won't need as much of a solid shadow area. For example, you could cut the 90% area open to about 75-80.  This helps for the gain.

Now here is another thing I do.

I copy that new black screen and adjust (burn out) the highlights of that screen again. Then select, and move to the brown screen. This is going to be what we use to knock out of the shadow areas of the brown.  You don't want 100 % brown under 100% black.  So adjust the shadow areas on brown using your new shadow selection so that you remove about 70% of the brown (from under the black).
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks guys! great stuff.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »
I'd be careful with that image from a legal standpoint

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
I'd be careful with that image from a legal standpoint

Super Ditto

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks. We are fully licensed to print for them. We create the childrenswear for the adult versions.

Corporate has their printers create the separations for the adult shirts and simply rejects or approves the strike offs as they come in, we do not get them and have to match the results. Thanks for the help and for having my back so to speak.